1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

buzzing involving pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frappo, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Frappo

Frappo

Jun 16, 2007
    I play a Schecter Omen 4 (which you may know comes with active pickups) through an Ampeg B1RE Bass Head and B410HE 4x10 cab. For some reason the closer I play to the pickups, the more buzzing I get coming through the speakers. I figured this could be one of several different problems. Could it be the pickups themselves? Could it be the strings I currently have on the bass (I had to throw cheap ones last minute before a show and I have not changed them since)? Or could it be the speakers themselves? While I am playing I strum in a very sensitive way and the bass can not even be heard with the rest of the band playing. The only time I don't get buzzing is when I strum closer to the bridge and that doesn't give out a very heavy bass tone that one would desire. If someone could explain to me what the problem is and how I could go about correcting it please help me out!

2. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    It sounds like the pickups. They don't seem to have shielding inside, so as you move your hand closer they are using you as an antenna to pick up hum. Maybe the magnets aren't grounded.

Are your strings grounded?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

first thing to do is isolate the source. No point in trouble shooting the bass (or anything else ) if you don't know that's the source.

SEE FAQ Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide on how to do as much.