Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzzing jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Hey guys,

My 60's jazz started buzzing a bit when I have the tone control off, or treble up all the way. I don't mean single coil hum. The buzzing stops when I touch the bridge or control plate or if I turn the treble down. Does this sound like a grounding problem? It just started doing this.

Thanks!

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Sounds like it to me Dr.Funk. First open the control plate and check to make sure a ground wire has not come loose or unsoldered. If that is A-OK, then you may have to remove the bridge and check under there where the ground wire makes contact. Should not be too hard. Let us know what you find.

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Isimy,

Thanks for that helpful reply. I'll try those things and let you know. Where in VA are you? I'm in Leesburg.

Thanks again.

4. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Sure thing. I'm in Alexandria.

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    could be a screw loose in the bridge?

6. Sounds terminal, I suggest you send it to me...STAT

I'll make sure it's, um, given proper care...

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Actually Pamlicojack,

I have at least been trying to post some pictures of this bass since I got it last year. It seems the files are too big and I'm not sure how to reduce them. I think you guys would like this jazz, it's a real slick color.

8. ohjustbyteme

ohjustbyteme

Aug 6, 2004
    yup.. it sure is..... look for a cold solder joint or a broken wire....