Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzzing no matter what?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by westcoastmetal, Apr 17, 2003.

1. westcoastmetal

westcoastmetal

Apr 7, 2003
    kcmo
    new pbass deluxe mim 4 string no matter what i do truss rod ,bridge tuning when i use a pick buzzes very bad and also with fingers ,set to specs one thing i have done is taken my strings off and on alot to try differant brands ,could this have taken all the tension out of the strings because they seem awlfull floppy i tuned half step down,and 440 standard string gauge is 100 85 ,75,45,any ideas?

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    The action on you bridge could be too low, also you frets might not of been dressed well, so they could be uneven and that could cause the buzzing.

3. Use 'high tension' strings if you drop tune often.

Some basses are just lemons.
    (twisted neck/unlevel frets, etc...)

If it's new, return it and get another.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    A buzz is normally diagnosed according to the location of the buzz on the neck.

If you will be very specific as to which strings buzz in what location(s), I'm sure someone can help you correct the problem.

Since it is a new bass, you probably have a setup problem because the basses that you buy new are very seldom set up properly from the factory. Top of the line basses usually are set up much better than middle of the road basses.

Pkr2

5. westcoastmetal

westcoastmetal

Apr 7, 2003
    kcmo
    gets worse going up to bridge on a string when i played it in store for an hour it didnt buzz at all its worse with a pick?bass is a deluxe model its got no flaws at all well made i checked frets with straight edge all ok

6. The Bottom Line is:

The store is responsable for a free set-up to your
    satisfaction before the sale is final.

S.O.P.

7. Yeah take it back. Our Society seems to be too afraid to take things back and give feedback to a company. There was a study done and australia is at the top of it for not going and complaining. We have a very "she'll be right" attitude or "oh i wont bother them".

If you have taken your strings off and on that can effect your setup. If its a el cheapie probably even wore the nut at the top a bit so they rattle around.

:D:D

Merls

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Taking it back to the store is certainly an option.

There are some pretty good reasons to just go ahead and do the adjustment yourself though.

1-The time will come when there is no warrantee on the instrument and adjustments will be needed. You now have the oppotunity to learn to do the adjustment yourself with the warrantee for a safety net. If you fail to get the results that you want, you can carry it to the store then.

2- The only person that can adjust your bass to your exact wants and needs is you. Trust me on this- a bass that is set up to your personal style of playing will play much nicer than a bass that has had a quicky store set up.

3- not being able to make adjustments to your bass is very much like not being able to tune your bass. They are both just simple mechanical adjustments. Some set up ability is a necessary part of any good bassists arsenal.

With that all said, WCM, the problem that you describe is almost certainly nothing more than a bridge height adjustment. If you do the adjustment yourself, simply turn the allen screws on the bridge rollers clockwise untill the buzz clears up. it shouldn,t take more than a couple of turns to correct the problem.

I sympathize with your search for the right strings. It can be aggravating and expensive but there are a couple of things that you should be doing. First and pretty important, lubricate the nut by rubbing a pencil point in the slots to cut down wear on the nut slots and make tuning easier.

Second, change the strings one at a time and bring each new string up to pitch before removing the next string. The setup will change much less than if you remove all the strings which allows the truss rod to relax.

Congrats on the new bass.

Pkr2