1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing noise from Genz Benz 3.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rythman6969, Mar 20, 2009.

1. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    I saw a thread about a similar problem but not exactly . I have a 3.0 with the 8" which I bought new about 6 months ago. I recently noticed when holding a note the "signal" light eventually fades off. Right as it's about to do that a buzzing noise comes through the speaker and actually distorts the signal. Not horribly, but it's there.
    I don't know if it's always done this or not. I think it's more noticeable at low volume.

Anyone have this happen? Thanks

Matt

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    A few things to check first. Listen for and mechanical buzzing like a slightly loose handle, grille screw, corner screw etc. This is generally the most likely cause.

If that doesn't get your problem solved, give Jeff a call at the factory (480) 941-0705, tell him exactly what you are hearing, and that I told you to give him a call, and he will get you all fixed up. You can always PM me with questions.

Hope this helps

3. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    thanks, no loose screws or anything that I see or hear. It's definitely like a static-y buzz. But I will give Jeff a call and take it from there. thanks again,

Matt

4. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    May be the wire laying against the speaker, I had that on my original one. Let the Genz Guys walk you through... their customer service is second to NONE!!!!

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    No lie! Real folks. Real solutions. No call centers.
    I have know Andy (agedhorse) for a while now, primarily from another forum. We had talked shop about various situations/solutions in the pro audio arena. I was always deeply impressed at his input relative to real world situations. If any of you have dealt with EE's...there is a stretch from the theoretical to the actual. Andy has always spoken eloquently from both sides of the fence. Talking with someone who understood the real world demands of gear and had whittled down, over the years, what was acceptable in terms of specification vs real world performance (under typical adverse conditions that we find ourselves in) was...refreshing.
    I have wanted one of the amplifiers that Andy had designed for a long time.
    In my Shuttle 3.0...I have that. The conversations that had taken place...ideas exchanged...were all present in that lightweight powerhouse.

Many users of the Shuttle series never tap into the flexibility that is designed into these amplifiers. To open up the amplifier's potential requires active involvement of the user. It is not an amplifier that one sets all of the knobs to '12 o'clock' and just 'hit it'. There is so much goodness lurking beyond the obvious in the Shuttle series that it is easily missed.

I have been around long enough (hush!) that I can remember when most of the bass amplifiers on the market required about 30 degrees of sweep on a particular tone control to make a noticeable difference.
    My eye opener was Peavey. The first WYSIWYG amplifier that I had ever encountered...move the knob 'x' amount...you got 'x' amount of change. It sounds simple, but in those days it was a revelation.

This brings me back to the Shuttle series. With the finely detented controls, it is easy to skip over the detents to find a 'comfortable' tone. All is good. However, there is SO much more to be found...one click at a time...with ALL of the controls present on the Shuttle series.

Like any product, the Shuttle series is not for everyone. However, please do not dismiss this excellent offering before spending the necessary time needed to fully explore what it can bring to your performance.

Kim

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Thanks for the kind words Kim. The more folks know about how amplifiers work, the better it is for all manufacturers because an educated consumer will have the tools to make a better choice in the long run.

Anybody who designs this kind of gear without having a good feeling about what the real world gig presents to a player (including load in, set up and load-out) is going to have a very difficult time in the future with the quality of the current crop of bass products out there. This is a fantastic time to be a bass player, there are good choices from many of the manufactures present in the marketplace. Ours is just one possible choice for your consideration.

There isn't a single piece of gear built that is everything to everybody, please remember that just because a piece isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean the guy sitting next to you might prefer it to your choice.

7. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    I love my 3.0 besides the farty-buzzy noise it makes.
    I will love to tap in to all it has to offer once I get it to stop buzzing.

I just havn't had the chance to turn up my amp and play to trouble shoot since last night and I fear I will have to wait till Monday to get in touch with Jeff at GenzBenz.
    But I will try him today anyway and maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks all,

Matt

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You can always e-mail him at jeff.genzler@kmcmusic.com

9. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    Thanks, e-mail sent. See what happens.:)
    Matt

10. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    so far the reports are all accurate.:) I called Jeff at GenzBenz and the same day he e-mailed me a return lable for 2day air from NJ to AZ and said he would be sending it back a day or two after he got it. Not too shabby. He asked if I needed an amp to gig but I honestly don't so...I didn't feel the need to have one sent before I sent mine or anything too extreme. I can wait a week. But it is nice to see or hear that there really are good companies out there that care about what their customers think and stand behind their products.
    See ya in about a week.:)

11. jazzenfunk

jazzenfunk Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    bay area
    My 3.0 is at GB right now getting fixed with the same problem. Jeff said a few went out with this problem and it is a quick fix.

12. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    The Genz Guyz coming through again!!!

13. dbassman59

dbassman59

Dec 19, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    After hearing all the positive customer service comments... I am soooo glad I bought Genz Benz products ... (Shuttle 6.0 12T). I don't anticipate any problems .... but their service is like a comforting insurance policy ...

Besides .. they sound great ... with both my basses ...

14. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    6.0 210T owner. Totally happy. :bassist:

15. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    yep, so far so good. I sent the 3.0 back yesterday, should be there tomorrow, and I guess I'll get it back next week maybe. Jeff was very nice on the phone and took care of the issue no problem. GB CS ROCKS !
    I love my 3.0 so I'll be very happy to get it back.

16. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    so, it took a little longer but I got an e-mail today saying the 3.0 is all better and coming home, and I'm gettin' a free t-shirt out of the deal.

Not too bad.

so I guess that's the end of the story.