1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing noise in my Gallien Kruger NEO 112-II Cab - Removing the tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by math, Dec 7, 2017.

1. math

math

Aug 4, 2016
    Quebec City
    Hello everyone,

I have a great cab by GK that I really like, the NEO 112-II. I've used it on a lot of gigs for the last 5 years or so, but I'm having my first problem with it just now. I noticed a buzzing noise coming from the cab this past month. After investigation (trying a different cab with the same amp - my GK MB500-, trying another bass, trying another speakon cable), I was able to determine the problem really came from the cab and nothing else. Also, while listening closely to it, it felt like this was a mechanical/physical issue. It seems like something is moving in the cab, like there is something loose. Also, the buzzing is a major issue when the cab is in vertical standing, but not when it is horizontal. And even when in the vertical position, the problem is there only when the bass trap is at the bottom and the tweeter on top. If I put the cab upside down, no more buzzing (or almost none, instead of a LOT of buzzing on the other side).

It really feels to me like there is something loose in the tweeter of my cab and that's what causing all the noise. And the thing is, I don't even use the tweeter of this cab. It is constantly turned off. So I was wondering if it was a good idea for me to just remove the tweeter from the cab since it seems to be what's causing my buzzing problem.

Also, I want to make sure that I can remove the Tweeter without affecting the circuit of the cab and breaking everything.

Does anyone happen to have an idea on how to effectively remove the tweeter from this cab? Or would it just be worse because it might create other buzzing problems? If anyone has any thought on this, I would really appreciate your help!

2. If it doesn't buzz when turned off, why not just leave it turned off.
    Problem solved (band-aid actually) no muss, no fuss, no "I screwed up the cabinet" cuss.
    Or, try to figure out the real problem.

3. math

math

Aug 4, 2016
    Quebec City
    Thanks for your answer, but I might have explained my problem wrong. Because even when turned off, the tweeter is buzzing. The tweeter is always off, but it seems to me like there is something loose in it and it buzzes when the woofer is on, even though the tweeter is off.

(I'm trying to explain it the best I can in my second language, not always easy :)

4. You are going to have to look inside the cab. A disabled horn shouldn't buzz. Maybe a pet left a toy inside. Are you missing a pen cap?

5. OK. Gotcha.
    Sounds like a loose tweeter then.
    Get inside, look around, make sure everything is snugged down properly.

If you are going to remove the tweeter, try an experiment first.
    With the tweeter physically unmounted, and still connected, set it on some foam or otherwise isolate it from contacting the cab.
    See if it still buzzes.
    If so, might be a bad tweeter.
    If not, remount and makes sure everything is tight.