Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing On a Carruther's SUB-1

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by timre, Jul 9, 2001.

1. timre

timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    I have had a problem with the fingerboard of my Carruther's SUB-1 since I purchased it used last year. The E-string in particular has a pronounced growl; more than tasteful and not controllable- from the F to the G#. My tech has taken some material off the neck, yet when I stop the string at the first and last position on the neck, it doesn't seem to have much bow, my tech seems to think it has a rise in the first couple of positions of the neckand this is causing the buzz. I just put some new D'addario Helicores on, the sound is great but the buzzing is very annoying.
    The G-string is also very low. So low that it rattles when I bow. Anyone have experience with these basses????

2. I think I may have answered this on another board but just in case : Yes having a good DB luthier replane your fingerboard will help. Everyone I know with a Sub 1 (that play DB) has had this done or in my case will soon be having this done! The SUB 1 is a great EUB , it's a shame John Carruthers doesn't shape the fingerboard like a DB.

3. timre

timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm getting the repairs done this week. We'll see how it goes!

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    As I've written somewhere else, you'll be surprised of the result!
    I got very positive comments from the musiciens with whom I play when I switched from my basic BugBass to the Carruthers SUB-1, last fall. It sounds more acoustic.
    Now that the fingerboard is planed correctly, it sounds even better!

5. timre

timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    The luthier said that he'll try and keep some growl by going with a low jazz-type set-up. I hope I still have some growl since I'm doing mostly Celtic stuff and the growling whole note trooning is a good effect in this music!

6. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    trooning?

7. timre

timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh, you like that? Trooning is the onomatopaeia I use for mimiking the drones of pipes. You know, picture the pipes coming in to say...'Oh Danny Boy', and you here the slight grace note as the pipes hold a root under (or around if we're talking about tuning;but I digress) the other music.
    On an upright or a fretless bass you can (of course) get very expressive usage out of whole notes and this fits perfectly with some lilting ballads and even to give a mood to some jigs and reels and hornpipes (oh my!).
    Sorry, silly mood.

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    It also depends a lot on your strings.
    If you want maximum growl, go with Thomastik Spirocores, Pirastro Jazzers or Helicore Pizzicato. (or the Hybrids)
    I have a set of barely used Jazzers if you want them. I'd sell them cheap.

9. timre

timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks for the offer but I just bought some Helicore hybrids before I decided to do this repair. They sound really good, so I can't wait to hear them with the great set-up. I get it back tomorrow (Yeah!)