Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzzing on ibanez soundgear 200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i am nate, Jan 1, 2002.

1. hi everyone!
    i recently inherited an Ibanez SGR 200 4 string bass. problem is, is that theres a constant buzz when i plug it into any amp. it seems to be coming from one the knobs. i think its the treble or tone knob thingy mabobber (sorry im new to the world of bass). i talked to a guy at guitar center and he said hed adjust the truss rods, adjust the action, and clean the pods for 100$ plus new parts. i think this is alittle to much since i have a budget in single digits. is there any way i can do some of this stuff myself? the pickups are rusting (those little circles are basically rust) so i might have to replace them too. anywho, thanks for any help and what not. -nate

2. What amp are you playing through Nate?I had a SGR190 but played her through a little Ibanez 10watt practice amp....guess what?No matter what I played through that nasty lil amp she would buzz and hum and sound like poop.

I still have this problem with my EDC700.....buzzing/humming.I have found she is very fussy and needs to be at least 15-20 feet away to get minimal humm/buzz.Any closer and I have to seriously "downgrade" my tone i.e. roll off the bass/mid/treble to get a decent tone.Part of this I feel is due to her needing new high quality strings.

Good Luck
    Usul
    p.s. currently I am using a Crate BFX50 for amplification.The only time I have probs with noise/etc. is when I play the EDC through it....this could be the active electronics or the quality of the electronics that are in the Ibanez EDC700.I`ll leave that for more qualified minds to contemplate. :D

Usul

3. We have a serious case of bass-abuse here gentlemen... :(

if the polepieces are oxidated, it means the bass was exposed to moisty conditions for a longer period. the best thing you can do is wrap it in towels for a week or so, to get the moist out of the neck,etc..

next i would advice to replace the whole electronics-section.. get new pots and put some bart's in it..

Oil the fingerboard, do some adjusting on the 'rod and stuff like that and you're ready to rock and roll !

4. hammong

hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    If that's a GSR 200 we're talking about here, I wouldn't invest any significant money into getting it fixed up. You can buy a NEW GSR 200 for around $149, making $100 to adjust and repair an abused one seem a little absurd.

You can clean the pots yourself with a $4 can of spray electronics cleaner (go to Radio Shack). Remove the pot knobs, spray in the cleaner, and turn the knobs fully back/forth a bunch of times to clean the contacts in them.

As for the rusty parts - it's because the bass has gotten wet or stored in a terribly moist environment. If it's rusty on the outside, the inside is probably trashed.

Greg

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That buzzing is just part of "The Ibanez Sound."

6. thanks for the help. i think im gonna try to fix it up (keep inmind the single digit budget) anywho, the buzz is like 50% of the sound, and its all related to the tone knob. when i turn it all the way down, it goes away but when i turn it up, its terrible. i think im going to clean the pods today or atleast try. it needs new strings (3 year old GHS bassboomers are starting to come apart) so i need a string gauge and manufacturer reccomendation. all the people at guitar center try to sell me a heavier gauge bass boomers set. these any good? my friend told me to get the normal guage and go with d adaro (sorry about the spelling). i play a wide variety of stuff (or try to) and i like a simple sound like Weezer's bassist. any reccomendations would be welcome. thanks again.

P.s. im looking into replacing the pickups and re doing some of the electronics inside the bass. hopefully my electricity 101 class will save me.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Do you just pull off the knobs, or do you have to go into the electronics cavity to clean the pots?

8. Nate: I don't think the cleaning will do anything..mine does the same.
    I play with the tone knob all the way down and the bridge pickup all the way down....and the neck pickup all the way up...to me its the fullest sound with that bass and pretty much eliminates the buzz.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The pots have nothing to do with it if it is a constant buzzing sound. Turning down the tone just filters it out.

The bass is inadequately shielded, and is picking up RF interference. Shielding the control cavity might help. You might also need to rearrange some of the grounds in the controls. My old bass has a shielded cavity (black paint, not copper foil), but it has always buzzed like a mofo. Stops buzzing when I touch the strings though, because they are grounded. You might also make sure the bridge is grounded, that will help (just watch out for hot mics if you do this).

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    After saying that ::> does it buzz only when you play? Is it the strings buzzing against the frets? Or does it start as soon as you plug in? If that's the case (always buzzing) then it's what I mentioned before. If it's the strings and frets, then a truss-rod adjustment and setup are needed.

11. I think you hit the nail on the head geshel.SHIELDING! Both of my Ibanezes(Ibani?)have/had this problem.Also it tends to decrease when I move farther away from the amp.

12. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    send it to fieldy in a box marked with *k-5 limitted edition*

;)

13. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    ..another 6 month old post getting a new reply.

14. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    I just had to say something about it though:D