Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing on the Fret???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by joeyang761020, Mar 16, 2004.

1. I have a "Noob" question here...

When I play the E and A string, it seems to be kinda sloppy, and keep making buzz with the fret, so whenever I pluck hard, it make those buzzing noise. So should I rise my bridge or change the strings???

If I should rise my bridge, how high to? Until it doesn't make nosie?

Joe

2. hello punters

I have the exact same problem, except on my d and g string. If you find any info on the problem can ya post it please? :help:

Cheers,
    Chips :bassist:

3. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    This should be posted in the "Setup " forum. You'll get more responses there.
    Don't do the adjustment yourself. Take it to someone who knows what they are doing. You can then ask them questions to learn how to make adjustments yourself.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hi Joe. Welcome to the world of bass! A couple of things - IME new strings will buzz more than old strings, so a string change won't help you. Fret buzz can be caused by a few different things. First thing to check, being that you are a self described "newb" is your technique.

Sloppy fretting can make your notes buzz, but you've probably figured that out and your probably getting buzz on open strings or you wouldn't be posting about it. If your left hand is fine, check out your right. Are you playing fingers style? Make sure that you are strumming the strings in such a way that they vibrate parallel to the body of the bass and not toward and away from it. That would cause buzzing and is a fairly common reason why a beginner might get buzz. Another technique problem could be that you are just strumming too hard. You don't need to strum the bass hard. Most players these days seem to subscribe to the 'play soft and turn your amp up for volume' school of thought.

If it's not a technique issue causing the buzz, then it is the bass. It's usually nothing that a proper set up can't fix. You are correct that the fix for buzzing is usually a bridge saddle adjustment. I usually put on new strings and then lower the strings until they buzz and then raise them just a hair to where the don't. Make sure to tune the string each time you move the saddle. When you have dialed in your desired string height you'll need to intonate. That is like tuning the 12th fret to the open string - when they match the intonation is good. You do this by moving the bridge saddle foreword and back. Again, tune each time you move it.

That will probably get you where you need to be. If not, then you probably have nut or truss rod issues and I would recommend a professional set up for a beginner needing any set up beyond bridge saddle adjustments. One last thing - I had a bass that I couldn't make stop buzzing with any kind of bridge adjustment and I thought it had bigger problems. (nut or truss rod) As a last ditch effort I changed strings to my favorite brand (remember - generally new strings buzz more…) …well, with the new strings the buzz went away. (they fit the nut better)

If that was too much info for you to follow, you might just want to have a pro set up done at your local guitar store. If you really want to learn about your instrument you should ask the tech if there is anyway that you can watch what he does or if he would be willing to explain exactly what he has done when the job is complete. Expect to pay about $50 for the set up. Good luck, tell us what it was when you get it figured out.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't know about that...

It sounds like there is a good chance it really belongs in the technique forum. Misc was probably a good place to post it.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Also look at the downward pull on the strings between the nut and the post Make sure the windings start at the bottom and go up forceing a better break angle (this stops rattle at the nut).

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    We'll move this to setup.