Buzzing on the strings?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jkrobs, Feb 22, 2006.

1. jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Hi there, I havea Yamaha BXS 375..Ive very new to bass and just got a book in the post called Crash course/Bass. It's a great book and helps me a lot. Im on bass riff 3 now and Im loving it!! I just have one problem..the book is great, but it jumped a bit.

Baically Im having trouble pluking the strings. It never showed me where which fingers is best for pluking each string. bassically I feel bit uncomfortable plucking the strings..becouse I keep hitting others and it makes horrible buzzing sound. Also somtimes when I hit the strings and say I put my fingers on fret 5 it makes a buzzing sound, like the wire is hitting the metal fret and back. it's horrible.

does anyone know what Im doing wrong? Please help me.
    I think my bass is tuned ok. anyway, do you have any good tips to feel comfortable with pluking the bass strings?
  2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    This is normal. At first, you can expect to be plucking other strings quite often. With time it'll go away and you'll get more precise. Try to put your right thumb on the pickup an keep it there while you play with the rest of the fingers, its a real help for starters. You can learn the floating thumb technique later on when you feel comfortable with your bass. As far as the buzzing is concerned, turn up the gain and pluck in a much gentler way (this may not work very well until your fingertips get hard from playing, but keep at it). Hope this can help.