Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Ok, so I have 2 basses and neither is particularily expensive. One is a fretted Yamaha bb604, and t'other is a fretless Vintage v940fl. I find that when I turn the treble up, or turn the pickup blend all the way onto one pickup, then I get some background sorta buzzing/fizzing. I was wondering if this was just what happens, or maybe something to do with the lights (tried it with lights out and still buzzed) or maybe it was cause the pickups aren't particularily expensive. Any thoughts on this?

I was thinking (since I'm happy with these 2 basses) about upgrading the electronics/preamps in them. The Yamaha has J/J pickups and the Vintage has P/J pickups. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a sorta modern tone, but a versatile one with a warmness to it. Ideas?

P.S- Is there anything else I should consider upgrading in my basses that would imporve playability/sounds? Thankyou very much for your help.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Typical of single coil pickups. Jazz bass pickups are wired so they get rid of the hum when both are on full, but when one is soloed, they can hum sometimes. It's not a biggie to me since I almost always have both pickups on full, but if it really bugs you, you can get humbucking replacement pickups or an active setup like EMG's or Bartolinis.

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    What JimmyM said plus if you shield the pickup/control cavities with conductive paint and run an earth wire back to your output jack that will help too.

4. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I notice that when I'm touching the strings on my P copy that the buzz is gone. Am I the ground?