Buzzing problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KekChoz, Apr 8, 2005.

1. :help: I have a buzzing problem on my bass, it's really weird...
    i changed my strings five days ago and i also fixed my neck's inclinaison so now there is less space between the strings and the frets (without being too close.. about 5 millimeters on the 12th fret (about a 1/8 inch, for u.s.a. lol)), and it buzzes.... it's really weird.. but also, if i refix the neck's inclinaison so there is more space between the neck and the strings, it's harder to play, you know, the strings are too far from the neck...
    so what do i do?

i attached a recording so you can hear how ****ty it sounds

Attached Files:

2. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    Hey i usually eyeball setups, so im not much good at giving mesurment BUT i've found 5 string basses to be more sensitive to adjustment i would suggest check the relief (fret the 1st and 15th fret and see how big the gap is between the frets and the string.) i like to be able to see a gap (2mm?) you want the neck as straight as possible for a low setup so i usually try to get it striaght but stil with a visible gap. thewn you can go and adjust the saddles appropriately. i find that the less neck bow you have the better the bass feels even if you have to hike up the saddles a bit more. if you bow the neck to avoid buzzing i find the strings will be very uncomfortable to play over the 7-9th frets. just my2Cents
  3. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    i agree with ted.
  4. Thanx a lot, ted, i'll try this!
    But another question... when i make my neck less bowing, -i turn the screw (at the end of the neck) -, is there a limit that the neck can less bow? because now i try to turn the screw and it doesn't seem to change the same than before...