1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing sound thru amp until I touch a piece of hardware - please help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    So my new amp works fine (PF 500). However, there is a buzzing sound coming through my speaker. I noticed that whenever I touch any of the basses hardware, it goes away (bridge, knobs, tuners). What would be causing this? It's an LTD Gabe Crisp model PJ bass which is practically brand new. It's really annoying. Any help is appreciated guys, thanks! :)

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    That type of noise is typically the result of inadequate sheilding.

Basses are often shielded from the factory with conductive paint, which coats the pickup and control cavities. There is also usually a metal foil on the inside surface of the pickguard (if a pickguard is used). If the bass was shielded, it could just be that the ground connection to the shield was lost or missing. The connection is usually made by a terminal lug on the end of a ground wire held in contact with the shield by a small wood screw. You would need to take a look inside. If no shield is present, you would need to shield it yourself, with conductive paint or foil.

You are a noise source, picking up 60 Hz related signals from electrical fields in the room. And because of your proximity to the bass, that noise is capacitively coupled into the bass circuitry (also known as electrostatic or electrical coupling). When you touch any grounded hardware on the bass, you ground yourself, and the noise on yourself drops to zero. The strings and tuners are all grounded through the bridge, which is typically grounded by a wire beneath the bridge plate.

-

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  3. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Ok thanks. I've never had that problem before & I've owned quite a few basses.....Yamaha, 3 Music Man's, Spector, 2 Zon's, Ibanez, Warwick & proll a few more.

I was gonna get some EMG's put in. Maybe when they are installing them they can address the buzzing issue.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If the EMGs are installed correctly (and I have no reason to believe they wouldn’t be), your bass should be dead quiet when you’re not playing.

5. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    I imagine that your quiet basses have only factory type shielding, and so similar shielding should be plenty adequate for this bass also.

Should be a simple fix if needed.

-