Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RyKnoz, Feb 13, 2002.

1. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    I was just playing my bass the other day when I noticed a slight buzzng noise, I think is coming from one of my nuts. How do I make the buzz goaway?

2. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    ehhh?
    maybe you should get a vasectimy?

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    lol good one

What kind of strings? I've heard Ernie Balls can wreak havoc on your nuts. :p

4. i had that problem with my old bass once. i was playin it, and it buzzed a bit, but i thought nothing of it and ignored it and it over time it got worse. i took it in to the music store to see what was wrong with it, and they told me it was the frets. so it could be your frets instead of your nuts (lol nuts;).... i'm gross... but thats not the point). but ya never know, maybe it is the nuts.

5. My old Peavey buzzed at the bridge...

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Better suited for Setup.

Moved.

7. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Is this buzz just when you play open strings? My thunderbird was bad, then I read that if you don't have enough string wound on the post, this can happen. I went 4.5 inches with new strings past the post, wound them, problem solved. No more open rattle. If it's on the fretted note, your setup might be the culprit( action to low, neck relief screwy, etc.). Hope this helps.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Play your bass up higher,(shorten you neck strap to get your bass off your nuts), that should keep them from buzzing. Of course it won't feel as good or look as cool.:D