Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gabby355, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Gabby355

Gabby355

Dec 9, 2001
    Mass.
    I got a new electric Bass for Xmas from my grandmother, and when I play I hear a buzzing noise. Is it my strings or is it my amp or what???????

2. basspl87

basspl87

Dec 26, 2001
    new york
    Um it might be that you are not pressing the strings down hard enough because u are just a beginner. If it isnt that it might be that the strigns are old or the truss rod needs to be adjusted. When ou get a new bass all of these ar epossible but easily fixed.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bet your patoot it's the setup. Try taking a look at http://garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html to see how to adjust your action. If you don't feel comfortable with that, by all means, take it to a tech at a music store!

If the setup/action is okay, it is most likely your technique...in other words, how you are plucking/fretting the the strings.

In the worst case, the bass Grandma gave to you has a warped neck. 99 out of 100, it's not your amp.