Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing that wasn't there before...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Hey guys, I'm not entirely sure if this should be in setup or elsewhere, so I stuck it in Miscellaneous just in case.

Anyway, I just changed the battery in my bass and now I've noticed that it buzzes and hums a lot when I point it in certain directions. My room isn't very big, and there are only so many places that I can sit or stand and play.

One big thing I've noticed is that the bridge pickup seems to do all the buzzing. It gets a whole lot louder if I solo the bridge pickup, and if I touch any part of the pickup with my finger. I haven't tried touching it with any inanimate objects yet, but I figure my fingers are good enough to prove that something's wrong.

Can anybody tell me what the problem might be? I can post some pics of the control cavity, if that might help. :)

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Perhaps you should tell us what bass you have, it might help to jog someone's memory.

One guess could be you unintentionally removed some grounding connection when you had the control cavity cover off, perhaps a cable that grounds the bridge?

Another odd thing would be to actually try another (brand of) battery. Sometimes bad batteries can behave strangely in electronic circuits.

3. Hmmm...
    It's a Spector NS 2000/4.
    But if a bad battery can do that...then it's quite possible that the battery is to blame. I desperately needed a 9-volt battery and all I could find were some cheap ones that I've never heard of in my life.

4. Hmm...
    Ok, while screwing around on my bass, I noticed that whenI soloed the bridge pickup, there was no sound. I touched the pickup and there was that incessant buzzing again. Then when I applied some pressure to the pickup on the end closest to the controls, I heard string noise!

So I tightened that screw a bit and now the buzzing is gone and I get sound out of the bridge pickup again.

Now that I've solved it...does anyone have any clue as to what might have been the problem?

5. Hmmm, sounds like a problem with the wiring, maybe a wire with a loose connection at the pick up, wich you accidentally "tightened" when screwing down the PU ?

6. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    hmm, this happened to me a while ago. I was on the verge of freaking out until I realised that it only happened when the computer monitor was on or the TV.

just thought I'd share.

7. Ok, I fixed the problem on my Spector...now I have a buzzing problem with my Fender.

No matter where I sit or stand, and regardless of whether or not my computer is on or off, if one of the pickup volume knobs is even remotely..."on," then I get a pretty crazy buzz out of my amp. This buzz can be dampened by touching a string or two, and can be completely gotten rid of by touching anything metal on or connected to the control plate. That includes the plate itself, the knobs, and the male jack of the cord.
    Does anyone know what's up with my Fender jazz?

8. Sounds like a grounding problem, probably the pickup or volume pot that's not properly grounded.
    Check the ground connections on the pot. (the ground from the pot is usually bent and soldered to the back of the pot, the ground from the pickup too (usually black wire soldered to the back of the pot also))