1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by baba, Dec 20, 2006.

1. I've got an Antoniotsai bass that has some major buzzing. I don't know the preamp brand or pickup brand. Not even sure who really makes the bass, I think Antoniotsai is just the dude that buys them and adds inlays.

Anyway, I didn't notice it until I took it out for a gig, because when you are sitting facing the amp it doesn't buzz. However as you move away and turn away from the amp, the buzz comes in. When you touch the strings it's still there, but it is reduced quite a bit. From what I understand, this kind of rules out a bridge grounding problem.

This is not a hum, it's a distinct buzz that changes pitch (and decreases some) when you touch the strings. Otherwise this bass sounds, plays, and looks great so I want to gig it, but it's benched until I work this out.

Is this indicative of any common electronics/grounding/fault issues?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

whether he makes them or not, if you bought the bass from him, he's the one to contact. He should know who makes the basses and what pups are in it. If the pups are single coils then they'll hum unless both pups are maxed.

60 cycle hum often changes with change in direction but I've never heard that it's indicative of anything in particular.

Personaly I wouldn't touch the bass till contacting Ant... cause he's not responsible for what you do to it. He and the shipper are responsible for it if you don't.

However you can do some things without changing anything and maybe discover the source.

This thread may be useful

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276127