1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing when tone and volume wide open

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sonicblaze, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Hoping someone can think of what to check next...

Have a peavey grind 5, factory passive pickups. When I open both volume and both tone pots full on, I get a buzz. If I touch the ground jacket of my cable, it almost goes completely away.

Figuring it was an emi or ground issue, I completely shielded everything: behind pickups, control cavity, and connected all the shielding to ground.

While I was in there, I also replaced the pots with bournes. Had it all out anyways, figured why not.

Even after all that, the exact same issue still occurs.

So, any thoughts on what to check next? Maybe I just have really dirty power to my amp or something?

2. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Sounds like a system ground issue, is the outlet your amp is plugged in wired correctly? If the noise goes away for the most part when you touch the cable jacket, then the bass itself most likely isn't the problem. I would try a different instrument cable, and amp plugged in a known good wall outlet, on a different electrical circuit. Those small yellow "outlet testers" are a good thing to have, you can get one at any dept., or hardware store. Is something else plugged into the electrical circuit, especially something with an electric motor, (like a fan), that creates line noise. The Peavey Grind has humbucking pickups, so it probably isn't single coil hum. There could also be a bad ground somewhere in your amp, but, making sure you have a good electrical outlet on a clean circuit is easy enough. Anyone who has gigged small bars knows about bad outlets, I don't do that any more, but I do remember nights when everything plugged in was making a racket, and we had to live with it. If it still does that on other house outlets, it could even be the house system is poorly wired, but that's the first thing to check.