Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JonnyBassist, Jan 15, 2004.

1. JonnyBassist

Jan 3, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    I just got my Standard Mexican Fender P-Bass and for some reason it buzzes a little too much it seems. I don't know why...but what would be causing this and how would I go about fixing it?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Try raising the action(string height). Raise the saddles in the bridge. (the vertical small screw type things).
  3. JonnyBassist

Jan 3, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    I don't know if I can do these things...I am no bass expert, I've only been playing 6 or 7 months.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a really basic adjustment. Anyone playing for even a month should be able to do it. Do a search in the Setup forum on "action" or "adjusting action''.
  5. Hey bud, the more time you spend reading up on this stuff, I'll guarantee you'll become better a understanding how you want your very own bass setup. There's nothing nicer than being able to make a nice bass even nicer, and spending 15-30 minutes every few months to make adjustments to your bass will pay off. I've got a couple links that should help you a lot. Read them. The concepts of setting up your own bass gets easier the more you spend the time to understand the stuff and with hands on experience. It's like maintaining a car, only a lot easier. Good luck and don't rush with it. Make sure you understand the stuff before messing with the neck on your bass.

Here's the links:

I wasn't fortunate enough to have these resources available to me when I started my own adjustments. I learned the hard way and stripped the nut to the truss rod in my first bass making it unadjustable. 3 words, "easy does it". Be patient.
  6. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    All good advise.

Now as I know and learned.

If it only buzzes near the nut or the first five frets loosen the truss rod. Above the first 5 tighten it. Slowly little at a time allow time then play it again.

Best setting for beginners and maybe pros set the strings one quarter inch off the fret board at the 12th fret. not the fret the fretboard.

Still buzzes work on balancing technique.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL