Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jesica, Jul 13, 2001.

1. jesica

jesica

Jul 13, 2001
    USA, MI
    In Nov. I got a brand new Ibanez100 and the top E string makes a nasty buzzing sound whenever i use it, it's really bad on the first 5 frets. The A sring does it on the first couple frets too. I think it is getting worse too. I've done tons of reseach and I just can not find a solution. please help!

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Make sure that you are fretting as near to the fret wire as possible.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The instrument isn't properly set up. Bass necks require a bit of bend (or "relief") to prevent the strings from buzzing against the frets. The amount of relief can be adjusted using the truss rod in the neck. If you're not sure of how to do this, I'd recommend having someone at a music store do it for you.

This guy's site has a good tutorial for adjusting relief.

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

4. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    i agree with Christopher, it seems like you have to loosen the trussrod. this will make a little higher action over 12th fret and above, so maybe you will also have to adjust the saddles of your bridge. another possible cause of your buzzing problem could be the own frets, being poorly adjusted, but i don´t think so ( usually this happens on a single fret). it´s highly difficult to damage seriously a bass adjusting the trussrod, so have no fear, but if you don´t know how to it (it´s the first time), take your bass to a shop assistent for learning.

5. Adam Bartram

Adam Bartram

May 31, 2001
    London, UK
    If you press the top (do you mean bottom) E down at the twelth fret, look at the distance between the top of each fret to the botom of the string. It should clear each string, with the biggest gap at about the 6th fret. It can be diffecult to see, so try sliding a thin piece of paper up and down to see where it gets stuck.

Try this again at the 7th fret, and it should clear them all.

Also, check the neck by looking along the neck over the bridge. It should curve very slightly upowards.

If all these look ok, check the nut. When you press the string to the 3rd fret, it should clear the 1st fret.

If any of these show where the buzz is, take it back to get it fixed. They need to adjust the trussrod (unlikely), refinish the frets by re-stoning them or replace the nut.

Good luck!

6. Welcome to TB jessica, hope you get bitten by the TB bug and end up making useless posts to try and catch John Turner. :rolleyes:

Please check back at these forums regularly for updates on your question. Make sure you fill out your profile so that way people know what gear you have etc.

As for question, i would take it to someone who sets up guitars for a living. I take mine to a place here in Adelaide, cost me $50 tho, but it was worth every cent.

Cheers

:D:D

Merls

..You have been graced by TB's idiot......