1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shattered611, Jun 30, 2007.

1. shattered611

shattered611

Jul 15, 2005
    whenever i play notes hard or sometimes not hard at all, there is a loud buzzing. what can i do to get rid of this buzz

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Yes...there are lots of possible sources for rattling/buzzing...not enough relief in the neck, strings too low over the frets, string not seated in nut at enough of an angle, playing too hard, bad string.

I'm trying to solve a mystery in setting up a new-to-me Tribute L-2500. The E string rattles on an A and Bb. That's the only rattle :confused:

It's strung with EB regular Slinky strings (45-130). I've tried raising the action, adding more relief, all with no change. The E string is a 100 gauge.

I somehow noticed that touching the string between the nut and the fifth fret on the E string stopped the rattle. I decided to put back on the previous string (same make/gauge) and the rattle was gone. I then put the new string and it was better, but the Bb on the E still has a bit of rattle.

Is this likely a bad string or is there a way that these notes get the string vibrating between the nut and 5th fret and they somehow skim a fret top? Anybody heard of this before?

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021