Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzzing...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nicoli, Mar 21, 2003.

1. I re-strung my bass with .100 gauge strings after having .105s on them, and fretbuzz has been getting increasingly nasty, noticeable all the way up to the 7th fret on the E and A strings, with buzz also occurring on the D and G strings but not as badly.

Did a search, gave the truss rod about a quarter turn to loosen it, had the fretbuzz only happening on the first two frets of the E and A strings about six hours later. I gave it another quarter turn and put it away to allow the neck to settle.

So now a day later I pick up the bass and I have heavy buzz when fretting on 5 and 6 of the A string, light buzz on 3 and 4, heavy buzz on 1 and 2. The E string has buzz on 5 and 6, no buzz on 3 or 4, and heavy buzz on 1 and 2. Light buzz on the D and G strings from the 4th and 5th frets to the first fret.

Anyone know what's going on here? Should I give it another quarter turn and see what happens? The fact that there is buzz up around the 7th fret and the first couple frets but not so much in between is a little weird to me. Of course I'm a newb at this so... :confused:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Try adjusting it to how you had it the after the first adjustment, then raise the action a little. The thicker strings probably require a small raise in the action. If your not sure how to do this or you can't ge the buzz out, I woudl take it to a luthier for a full setup.

3. So everyone is pretty much in agreement on this one then, no new theories?

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Yeah, I'd guess the wood is still adjusting to the lower tension of your new strings - or maybe a change in the weather. In either case, I'd suggest you back it off another quarter turn, wait a day or two and check again. You may have to repeat this cycle a couple more times.

Can you measure the relief? Even the "two business cards" technique should give you a clue what's going on. You want a little bit of a bow to get rid of the buzz.

5. I've been giving the truss rod a quarter turn 2 out of every three days and I seem to have the problem under control for the most part now.

However, I still have fret buzz on two locations on the neck: 6th fret E string and 2nd fret A string. Do you think this is this still a truss road issue or some other aspect of setup? The neck seems pretty straight to my eyes right now.

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    If you've only got isolated buzzes in those two locations, it's probably due to slightly uneven frets. You may still have the neck ever-so-slightly too straight.

Can you hear the buzzing through your amp? If not, I'd say leave it alone and play it!