1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzzing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by balton4, Aug 13, 2012.

1. So, to start off, i play by plucking with my fingers.

When i play an open E (or anything down tuned on that string), hear what sound like buzzing in the nut of my Epiphone Thunderbird. Any advice for me to solve it? I plan of getting the bass set up at a local music store where i bought it (they give me 1 free year if set ups because i bought from them.) When i play the A, D, or G strings, no buzz, but the E? Buzz. :help: I really like this bass, so hopefully its not too major. I would hate to lose my 2nd bass :crying:

2. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    Chances are the nut on "e" slot is a bit wide for your e string. Simply put a very, very small (so you can't see it/a sliver of tape) piece of double sided 3m tape under the string and your problem is solved without a new nut.

I've had to do it before.

3. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Means the slot is too wide. Try a wider string or put some tape or aluminum foil in the string slot

4. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Not using enough pedals .

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    One other thought, is the string wound down far enough on the tuning peg so that there is enough downward tension at the nut?

6. I honestly have no clue. I havent changed the strings on this bass ever, seeing as i only got it about 2 months ago. I am going to restring it, and i have another bass that i had no trouble with (no buzz), so i will also try the tape idea with the nut.

7. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Check the truss rod cover screws.

8. Already did that. Tightened them down, but there is still a faint (as in lighter than before) buzzing. Im thinking that it is just that the nut slot is too big for the string on it.