Buzzkill. A grounding project with before/after waveform image

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gil_mor, Sep 25, 2019.

1. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Talent, OR
    Hi Folks,
    This thread most likely won't educate you, but may convince you to spend an hour or two and shield your bass.
    Here's my story:

A few months ago I moved my bass from Hawaii back to the Mainland and noticed a slight buzz when not touching the strings. Nothing major, just a little annoyance.
    I finally got enough time to deal with it and dove in.
    After inspection it seemed the wiring was intact.

I decided (for unknown reason) to replace the grounding wire to the bridge. That actually made it worse.

After researching TB I learned about Shielding.

I shielded both pickup cavities (DiMarzio PJ), the pickguard and the electronics bay.

In the picture below you can see:
    Original - The noise levels (buzz) drop when touching the bridge.

Bridge Ground Wire Replaced - the noise levels drop when touching the bridge BUT not as much as it was before I messed with it.

After shielding - The noise levels are much lower than before, no noticeable change when touching the bridge.
    Grounding Bass.png

My bass is now SILENT.
    $7 of aluminum tape. About an hour of taping and... Voila!
    It's easy and there are good tutorials like this: Jazz Shielding Pictorial (Big Images Warning)

If you are on the fence - do it!

e-flat likes this.
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022