1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzzy volume knob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Perytion, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Perytion

Perytion

Aug 14, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Hey there folks. This is my first post although I've been a lurker for a while, gleaning bits and pieces from all the wisdom on this forum. Usually if I need something I just do a search and find like 10 threads that point me in the right direction. But today something came up:

Basically, I have a buzzy volume knob problem. It's weird, though, because there is no buzz whatsoever when the bass is at full volume, but when the volume knob is anywhere but max I get a sound like you hear from an unplugged chord with your finger on it. The bass does still send a signal though. Also, the bass has active electronics and the volume knob can be pulled to switch from active to passive. The issue is still present whether the bass is set to active or passive.

It's weird because I was using it like four days ago and didn't have this issue. But when I pulled it from the case today: buzzzzzz. I sprayed some contact cleaner on the pot, to no effect. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help, y'all. TB is great!

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Pots gone bad. Replace it and all should be fine again.

3. Perytion

Perytion

Aug 14, 2012
    Portland, OR
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks darkstorm.