Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BUZZZ... can't shake it - please help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LawrenceGould, May 4, 2005.

1. LawrenceGould

LawrenceGould

Feb 4, 2005
    I've got a bit of a wierd buzzing situation that seems to emanate from my old peavey dyna-bass' active electronics - sort of.

My bass has a switch to turn the active on and off. With it off everthing is fine (quiet). With it on I get a fairly loud buzzing sound that goes away when I touch the strings.

I took the bass in to a shop to have it checked out and they plugged it in - NO BUZZ.. none at all - dead quiet - with the active on.

So, it has to be something about the interaction of my bass and my room. I've got an Ibanez bass (which also has active eq) that is dead quiet through my amp.

Could it be my power supply? Would a power conditioner help? I've got a wireless network set up in my music room. Could the RF frequency be causing the buzz?

Any suggestions??

:oops:

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Maybe...

This may sound dumb but it sounds like the grounding is good...

Ever check the battery to see if its dying? Not likely, but ya never know

3. LawrenceGould

LawrenceGould

Feb 4, 2005
    put in new battery... problem is still there? Why does the buzzing stop when I touch the strings??

4. lerxst

lerxst

May 4, 2005
    It could be the grounding in your room, especially if it's not the ground (first) floor.

5. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC

Are there any other sources of interference in the room like a TV or computer monitor? Is your bass shielded at all in the electronics?

JMHO

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Are there dimmer switches for the lights in your room, or on the same circuit the amp is plugged into?