1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

buzzzing on my geddy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpark369, Aug 16, 2007.

1. so i have a geddy jbass which i love so much. the only problem is when i turn up the tone knob, i get some serious buzz. it doesnt matter if im using both pickups, or trying to mess with diferent pickup volume settings.
    i dont know what to do, should i unscrew the pickguard and take a look? see if i can tighten things up? any ideas? im guessing this is a pretty common problem...

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I suggested this elsewhere today, even though some people didn't agree with me, but I still say the easiest thing to check is the grounding wire under the bridge. Make sure the wire is exposed and contacting the metal under the bridge. If that doesn't solve it, you might want to look into some copper sheilding for the p/u and electronics cavities which can't hurt anyways. You can also check your wiring for any bad solder joints and tidy them up if you feel comfortable doing so. But, I would check under the bridge first since all you need for that is a screwdriver.

3. the geddy only buzzes when my hands arent muting the strings. its when the tone is up and when the bridge pickup is turned up. when i mute the strings with my fingers, it goes away for the most part? i dont know what the deal is. it can be a buzz and a hum when using the bridge pickup at full volume, especially with the tone up. i cant really ever use the tone without buzz.
    i got nowhere to go aroung here. cause i'm not going to guitar center.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Just wondering if this problem ever got resolved... I've got the same issue with the same bass.