Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BUZZZZZZ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bazzist, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    My bass has recently acquired a strange buzzing. It goes away when the tone control is turned off and also it heightens when i touch the strings, but if I touch the strings and the control knob or just the knob it goes away! Could this be some sort of grounding problem. Thanks for help, Mods move this if needed.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

sounds like a bad ground/defective tone pot. Touching strings increasing hum is a dead give away for poor ground. Usually you can touch any of the control knobs and knock it out. The fact it's only the tone knob and that you have to turn tone completely off till kill it indicates the tone control is involved. Run a meter between the tone and other pots in the control bay and see if you get continuity. Or just look to see if something is amiss. May be a cold solder joint at the tone ground. You can check the bridge ground by running a meter from the jack to the bridge to rule it out, you get optimal continuity.

3. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Im sorry I meant if I touched either of the control knobs, sorry for the mix up.