Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BWAAAH-HA-HAAA!!!! I beat the system!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Dec 14, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I just got these.......[​IMG]
    installed on this.......
    [​IMG]

And now I have the ultimate vintage fretless P Bass of all time!!!! I beat the system!!!! Screw paying $2,400 on a Fender American vintage armistice day highway 1 active fretless 1954 new old stock precision delux bass!

I bought me a fretless $119 SX, put $60 Seymore Duncan SPB-3 quarter-pound™ pick ups in it and now have a kick ass vintage tone, silky smooth delicious sweet playing bass!

It feels like a dream and sounds celestial, and I'm not afraid to haul it around because it's cheap yet sturdy. Hell, if I damage it warding off muggers in the train station, or scratch it while cracking walnuts, I'll just take out my pick ups, throw it away, and then drop my pickups in a new one.

Screw the fancy name brand, nuclear powered, super basses I have to save up 6 years to buy! Yeah my baby's cheap and is a no name bass and if I tried to trade her in, I'd owe them money, but damn it, I love her! In my eyes she'll pimp slap any ibanez, fender, or Yamaha slut!

I win! Game over!

2. ...and that's why they invented decaf.

no serisously, glad your happy, now go play her some more before that Ibby tries to make a move on her.

-ryan-

3. Hmmm, so I'm confused. You say you.... do like it? :smug:

Just jokes. I've got the basic P SX fretless. $99 model. Bought it a couple years ago and it's going NO WHERE. It's a sweet bass and I really enjoy noodling around on it after a long practice on the Peavey. I'm actually bringing it out on a gig soon for the first time in several months. Some music just calls for the fretless, and the SX P fretless delivers that tone in spades.

I might just have to invest in some of those SD pickups. Maybe I'll keep an eye out on Ebay for used ones and swipe them. Glad you like your bass! SX rules!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a good bass but they do have their errors. My fretless SX P didnt have a coimpletely flat fingerboard, had a few buzzy spots.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Rose-colored glasses can be a wonderful thing... ;)

Like others, congrats and enjoy. I'd personally say that all low-end instuments have improved by leaps and bounds to the point where they can be quality backup/"bar gig" basses, but that's why opinions are exactly that. :D

6. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Basically, what it all boils down to is this. I don't care what the name on the head stock is. If it sounds and feels good, that's all that matters!

I went through too much trading and buying equipment before I realized these two things:

About the bass player: If you can play, you can play! If you are a good bass player and somebody put a cheap peice of junk in your hand, you can still make music. They'll say, "Damn, that boy can play, he just need to get a better bass, but he can play!"

About the Bass: It aint how much the bass is or what brand it is! It's what feels and sounds right to you! Forget the name on the head stock. If you want, take an affinity squire and open on tour with Audioslave! Screw the system!!! Attica!!!!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    YOu use more exclamation points than any man should.

8. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    You know, now that you mention it, I do. I never really knew that about myself. It does make me seem high strung.

:bag:

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You're telling me, reading your post exhausted me mentally.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That may be the very first time I've heard a quarter pounder called "vintage" sounding, but if you're happy with the bass, that's all that matters.

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I wouldn't call an SD Quarter-Pounder "Vintage" sounding either, but as long as he's happy!...

12. Good luck with that and write again in a week.

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Wow. someone is wound a bit tight. :eyebrow:

Seriously though, you have stumbled on to something here that works for you - I say go with it. I would lay off the caffeine for a while though...

14. Amen. I have the fretless sunburst model too and I use the stock pickups and love it. How easy was it to install the new ones, which I might do if I can find all the right tools. Where do I get the tools to change pickups in abass? I have acrappy Kramer I'd like to screw with too.

Thanks

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Works for me.

16. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Your friendly neighborhood hardware store should do it. A small Phillips (star head) screwdriver, soldering iron and resin core solder.

17. congratulations dude! i bet it sounds great. now, i dare you to practice at least 30 min. a day, for the next 3 years. and come back here and say....

18. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    I don't think anyone here would judge you for liking an SX bass. The fact that you are so over exhuberant about it makes me think that you are trying to account for a complex you must have about playing cheap basses.

Seriously - Glad you are happy about your bass. A good bass is a good bass - period. If your not caught up in the gear-go-round - good for you man.

I wouldn't get too ultra carried away with that pimp-slap theory though.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Dood, you have fretlines. Usted un perdedor!

20. Isn't resin core solder for plumbing? I thought it was the straight deal for electronics.