BWBass, A gecko ? and others....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Assumer, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    I have always wanted a warmoth gecko. But as fate would have it I play lefty. Anyway, I have been talking to warmoth and I may be able to get the body with no neck pocket or routs and flip it. forms. I would then do the neck pocket etc or have a local guy do it for me if I decide I need assistance.

The only problem will be the neck. It is asymmetrical. If anyone has a gecko, is it a subtle offset or pretty noticable? Would it be terrible to play upside down? I was thinking I might even sand down one side if it would not hinder the overall neck stability. I know you are not supposed to sand down the standard warmoth necks. What do you gecko owners think. Any other parts or builders out there I should consider?

Also, another route, will a bass neck fit on the S7 body? Just wanting something different.
  2. Its not that Asymetrical of a neck to me. but I don't really notice it either. Their necks are really strong, (2 steel bars parallel the truss rod) so I think you could shave it down a little bit.

It you are going to go to all that trouble just buy the body and get a non asym-neck. You won't "need" the gecko neck if they are not cutting a neck pocket for you. You could use any 24 fret neck that you want at that point.

For the record I love my Gecko. If you check out their site there is a picture of the body of mine on the front page (its Koa with a MM / J pick up configuration)
  3. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Beautiful bass. I was on their site last night and there were some great looking instruments there.
  4. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    Unfortunately, I think that the assymetric back shape of the neck is the least of your problems. More important is the fact that the heel of the neck is assymetric - there's not enough wood in the right places to bolt a righty Gecko neck on a flipped-over body.

I wish we did offer this body left handed, but with things the way they are, you would probably have to do nearly as much work to modify the parts as to build a whole instrument by hand.

And yes, by the way, I think one of our Deluxe 5 necks would probably fit reasonably well on a 7S body if you routed the neck pocket yourself. But as luck would have it, the only thing we don't do left-handed besides the Gecko is - you guessed it - 7-string parts. :(
  5. Brian -- Thats funny.

BTW - My Koa Gecko is still my primary bass. And I still love it as much as I did when we designed it.

Maybe we should have the recording industry contract a bunch of acts that have bass players only playing 4 stringers, and kill this 6,7 string craze that has become rampant. ha ha.

Also any thoughts of a 4 string Gecko? I am looking abt building something new this year.