Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bwbass or anyone else who might know...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chaoslord, Nov 17, 2003.

1. I am having some problems with the bridges on my Pedulla's. Mike Pedulla said he'd be happy to look at them but I really have no intrest in shipping two basses to New York from California especially when my band is in the studio right now.

So my question is this, does anyone know which bridges would be direct replacements for my basses (A Rapture PJ5, and a Thunderbolt 5). I don't mind doing this since chirstmas is coming and I would like to change hardware colors anyhow, but I really don't wanna do any drilling.

The more massive and Spector-esque the bridge is the better.

Thanks in advance everyone.

P.S. I appologize if this is the wrong forum but I figured it would get seen the most here. Feel free to move it if necesary mods.

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Have you asked Mike about selling you bridge's for the basses?

Hipshot might make a bridge that will fit, check their site and the hole layout on their bridge's.

3. I haven't asked him but quite honestly since both of my bridges have the same problem which he "Has never seen before" I am not sure I want two more of his bridges anyways. I love his basses but his bridges seem subpar.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The hipshot A type is a great bridge. You might also check out all parts and see if they have any bridges that line up with your hole layout.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What's the problem you're having with the bridges?

6. The saddle height screws (orange) do not sit perfectly in the ruts that they are supposed to intonate along (red), consequently the saddle can either be in the position I show it in now where the right hand screw is in it's rut, or it will actually "click" over against the left hand blue line so the left hand screw is in it's rut, changing my string spacing by a good 1/32-1/16 of an inch. This does not take much effort to do at all. With my playing style it would not surprise me at all if I knock it around live by digging in too hard. Which is why I wanna get it fixed prior to getting out of the studio and back on the road.

Forgive the crude illustration.

[​IMG]

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's weird. :confused:

It might be hard to find a direct replacement bridge cause so many companies make so many differnet bridges.

Have you asked Mike who makes the bridges for him? Maybe you could contact the bridge manufacturer & get the correct saddles.

8. Can't you just file the saddle down a little, so the string will sit in the right groove better?

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Are you sure it's not something simple like you have the action set too low at the bridge, and therefore the screw does not have enough room to "catch" in the rut as you call it? I've seen that before. It causes the saddle to slide around, as you describe, if you pull on the string too hard.

10. I actually play with a pretty high action Jared. I dig in alot with a pick and without a medium/high action I get too much buzz for my liking. I've got a good 3/8-1/2" of screw to catch.