1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BX1200/GK/LMII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cash87, Aug 30, 2007.

1. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    Ok after some time of reading this forum and getting an idea of my next rig Im still not sure about which amp head I want to go for.

I pretty sure the cab im going to get is the an avatar 2x12 neos. Now Ive never been able to try out the carvin bx1200 mainly because of it not being in stores. Ive tried the gk 700rb and liked the sound. Markbass just kinda popped up because of the resent threads. I wont have a chance to go to a guitar center for some time to try a LMII out. Since im going to be spending my money in the $400-$700 price range, I wanted to make sure I get the best amp for my money.

To help out I play in jazz, blues, and modern rock bands. So an amp thats versatile. So looking for a good modern and vintage tone.

2. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I'd go with the GK. You heard it. You like it. It's reliable. Future parts,service and repairs will be available by a company (GK) that's right here in the USA . And no Guitar Center middle man to worry about when and if you need attention (ala MarkBass). That's going to be a scary situation for people like me that hold onto their amps past warranty. (alright...alright I'll stop making that point)

3. bang for buck i'd go carvin, also made in usa, i think you'd be able to get a larger variety of tones, namely warm ones w/ the carvin... i've played alot of gk though only @ stores so not a great environment but they seem sterile to me, unless that is what you are looking for go w/ carvin...
    now unleash the GK fans to sodomize me......

"you need a GK 1001Rb-II!" dont be suprised if you read that ALOT

4. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    The GK 1001RB-II can be bought new online for $600 shipped to your door so you may want to compare that instead of the 700RB unless you would prefer to save the cash. Same price as the LMII from GC I believe. I dont know anything about the Carvin but they have a return policy so you can try it out. Perhaps you could order the Carvin, try it, then compare your experiences with the other two amps at the store and choose the one you like best.

I have the GK and am quite satisfied with it but I have never tried the others so I wont come right out and recommend the GK.

5. If you liked the GK that you tried and have the $600 to spend go for the GK1001RBII at RMC Audio. I have a Markbass LMII and really like it, but, knowing you like the GK sound, it's a sure bet.

6. G RICH 5

G RICH 5

Dec 19, 2006
    Detroit
    I AM CURRENTLY USEING A CARVIN B 800, AND AM PRETTY IMPRESSED. I HAVE ALSO USED THE GK 1001 SERIES 1&2 WITH EQUAL HAPPINESS. THE BOTTOM LINE IS TO DETERMINE WHAT TYPE OF TONE YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR, AND HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WANT TO SPEND. GOOD LUCK.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Of these which do you think is louder?