BX3 Tour

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by threshar, Mar 16, 2006.

1. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Thought some of you guys might be quite interested in this:

Stu finally managed to get the bx3 tour going - Stu Hamm, Billy Sheehan, Jeff Berlin. He'd been thinking / trying to do it for a while.

They are going to be some smokin' shows. We need to show the world that a mostly bass show can draw a crowd so we can have more of these things! (That was part of the reason it hasn't happened sooner - couldn't get enough dates to make enough money to make it worthwhile, among other issues)
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've already salivated over this at Stuarthamm.net and I'll do it again here!

3. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    What???? No dates in Texas????
  4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And why Jeff Berlin? Why not Jonas Hellborg or Mark King?
  5. Road trip to Chicago, BABY!!! Let me know if anyone else is going there.

Let's try and spread the word to get these dates sold out. Promoters need to see these shows can sell!
  6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, it's stickied on StuHamm forums and it's on the front page of the website, but I get a feeling not too many people go there...:meh:
  7. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Wow - thanks for posting this.

There's a date in NYC that I just might be able to get to.
  8. Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    They need to bring this overseas too. ;)
  9. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    There's got to be more dates to be scheduled. It was a short list.

There's Got to be CA dates somewhere.
    Keep watching.:cool:
  10. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Yes - they are still actively booking dates for the tour.

So if you happen to have a venue (And no, your backyard doesn't count - I already tried that) contact them.

I also suggested they buy some banner space here on our beloved TB.
    From when he first started thinking of the tour it was always Stu & Billy with a mysterious third B, which kept changing depending on peoples schedules and whatnot. Jeff does seem to have quite some chops and I doubt he'd be on the tour if he didn't.
  11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    The Magic Bag in Ferndale!!!!!!!!! About 1/4 mile from my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna get my ticket tomorrow!!
  12. Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Holy crap they will be in Milwaukee. I might just have to go to that show. Its only an hour drive from me (I live in Madison WI). The only problem is that it is on a Wednesday night but thats not a big deal... its definitely worth it to be tired at work the next day haha.
  13. Guess who's playing after B3 in NYC?

The Flecktones.

I'm smelling "special guest star" for that B3 show.
  14. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    That same day? Where?
  15. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    This has me very hot and bothered. I woke up after a dream that it was already sold out.

That's some night. BX3 + Flecktones and Victor in one night.
    Yikes. Sounds like music heaven.

I have to make a final decision, and if it's a go, buy the tickets Today.

NYers - that would make a great GTG night.
  16. Funny. Actually, I meant broke from going to so MANY, I didn't even look at ticket prices.
  17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Oh, this is going to bomb faster than any member of Dream Theater besides Mike Portnoy touring for a solo project.

We've got 5 dates in small venues (300-ish), no overseas dates thusfar where the scene for instrumental music in general is far greater (Japan, anyone?) and three bassist who simply aren't known to the general public. That's the crux of the problem with a tour such as this - guitarist are visible both within a band on par with the singer as well as outside of one with instrumental prowess. "Zappa's guy"... "He played on Jagger's tour"... "He can tell the difference between battery brands!!" - all of these bring you notice that will sell a face and therefore albums and tickets as well. By our very nature as bassists we eschew that role and all the trapping that come with it.

By it's very nature the bass isn't an instrument that's widely recognized as a "solo" one. People are used to seeing guitarists play solo, whether it be a singer-songwriter sitting under a tree or Steve Vai swinging his Ibanez around his neck. Again, visibility and the nature of the beast.

There's also the fact that out of the 3 touring bassists only one (Sheehan) is known for any type of "Rock Show stage presence", largely due to his work with DLR, Mr. Big, and Vai. As much as I love Stu and can attempt to respect Berlin, I don't think "exciting concert" when their names are brought up. Which would be fine if that isn't what it's being billed as - "Three Legendary Bassists... One Extraordinary Night! This is the same problem Eric Johnson had on the first G3 tour, his lack of "showmanship" in this setting.

I've been a bassist for half my life, and I love what I do with all my heart... but with the rare exception (Victa's show, Steve Lawson, etc) live "solo" or "lead" bass simply doesn't interest me in a live setting, and I'm their key demo. A 430-mile roundtrip drive to Buffalo for $40-50 in tickets (the fiancée as well) plus gas, food, etc..? No thanks.
  18. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm placing my money on the other side. :cool:

I don't know if this tour will be bigger than The Stones :)
    but I think it's going to succeed, and I think you're going to see many more dates after the momentum builds.