1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BXR 400 at 4 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danshibz, Jan 22, 2012.

1. danshibz

danshibz

Jan 22, 2012
    Midwest
    Hey guys, my bass player is trying to upgrade to an svt rig but is on a budget. He found a great deal on an ampeg 8x10 but hasen't bought the svt 2 pro he's looking for yet. I'm not sure he'll be able to use it with his BXR 400 because of the impedance levels. If he can use the 8x10 then he can sell his 4x10s and have more cash for the head. Any thoughts or solutions?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Most comercial SS heads are capable of operation into 4Ω loads. Check what the impedance of the 4x10 is.

3. danshibz

danshibz

Jan 22, 2012
    Midwest
    He has two 4x10 cabs. both are 8 ohm. The BXR is basically two amplifiers in one enclosure so it has two power outputs at 200 watts each. He hooks up both cabs so he can get all 400 watts. With the 8x10 he could only use one power section I assume. I did some more research and I think I found that the BXR can use 4 ohm cabs. So I think it will be fine, he just wont be able to get all 400 watts out of the amp.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ...unless the 810 has seperate inputs for top and bottom. Some do.

5. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    the bxr 400 will handle a 4 ohm load all night long