Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

by chance, would anyone know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kearney, Oct 2, 2004.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    what the difference between a Rickenbacker 4001 bass and a 4003 bass is?

is it the pickups?

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    numero uno... PRESS THE SEARCH BUTTON AND LOOK IT UP, IT WAS HERE A WEEK AGO.

secondly it was the neck design and stuff like the 4001 was meant for flats and the rounds put like 100 extra pounds of pressure on it. im scared to put rounds on my 4001 because i can bend the neck like rubber when its got flats on it...

for pickups and wiring i know thta you could choos either standard pickups or the horshoe/toastbucker(wasnt sure but its something like that) pickups. the 4001's also had really had wiring. but still sounded totally awesome, just a little too trebly with bridge pickup only. kinda like Rush's Tom Sawyer (except that was with geddy's Fender)

3. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004

so do 4003s go outta tune easily? are they even worth buying?

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    the 4003's are fine in tuning, as far as i know they have better wiring, stronger neck for rounds and are cheaper. i may just be paranoid but does anyone think that the 4001's and the 4003's upper horn look different?

5. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    good, cuz i JUST CANT STOP BUYING!!

ive got a jazz, an ibanez tr-50 and a gretsch electromatic jr.

whats up with fender jazz aerodines? can someone tell me a bit about em, cuz the store near me marked one down from 980 to like 620

6. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    IMO the aerodynes are horrible. they are ugly and sound bad. if you are gonna buy a fender for around that price, buy a Geddy. everyone here loves them.

7. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004

Aerodynes? Ugly? hardly so, thats maybe the only bass w/o a pickguard that i find good lookin, how can it sound bad? its got both jazz and p pickups? im gonna look into it

8. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    just cause it has J and P pickups doesnt mean it sounds good. and the 37" radius carved top does nothing for me. i played one and it sounds IMO like a squier P plus a bad J pickup. all the "heavy rocker" people think it's good because it is all black. these fender people are good at picking up the "it" thing to do. although i would have liked to see a "furbi" bass. the aerodyne is the stupidest bass to hit the market since that one bass that mccarteny played. oo la la i play a Hofner and i have a billion dollars.

9. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    here are some HELLA better basses that dont have picguards
    www.dhuffguitars.com
    www.brownebasses.com
    www.conklinguitars.com
    www.ctbasses.com
    www.alembic.com

here are a few of the "high end" basses. all are the best out there. darrin, mike, and Bill, are usually hanging out here too! try the luthiers corner and youll probably find Carey Nordstrand, Roger Sadowsky, and others. but i dont see Leo hanging out here, lol. j/k there are hella better basses out there than fender aerodynes.

10. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    *cough*ugly*cough*

plus those are like thousand dollar basses too, well alembics are, id play an alembic explorer like entwistle, that is, if i could afford it, ill stick with standard shaping thank-you-very-much

11. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I want to poke this with a stick.

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    :scowl:

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Two.

You're welcome. :smug:

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Try a couple thousand and up... way up.

15. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Dude, personal opinions are subjective.

16. Where'd I hear that before? Ha!

Regarding the earlier postings about the flats/rounds on the Rics. Out of curiosity I decided to see what the difference in string tension would be. Comparison was w/ D'Addario and at the .100 guage:

Nickel Flat Wound Roundcore .100 34.39
    Nickel Round Wound .100 36.5
    Chromes Stainless Steel Flat Wound .100 38.4
    Solid Stainless Steel Round Wound .100 34.4

So nothing really conclusive to lead one to think your 4001 neck will warp if you throw a set of rounds on there.
    Also, didn't Chris Squire and Geddy Lee both use Rotosounds on their 4001's for quite some time? As I understand they still own those original instruments w/ the neck in working order.

17. People always get their facts wrong when it comes to this subject... Its Dont put HEAVY roundwounds on a 4001...Flats actully have More tension than Rounds. My dad has been using .105 rounds on his 74 Rick 4001 forever and never had any problems. John hall said only put light guage flats on it cause the light guage helps the neck, and the reason for the flats was to save the frets. So you can use light-medium guage stings (rounds or flats) and wont have any problems.

18. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    sweet

19. THAT seems to make more sense. And yes, I've always felt that the flats (of equal gauge) were tighter in feel vs. the roundwound string.