1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

By far my most fun band ever

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by pklima, Oct 3, 2009.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    The only instruments are basses (distorted BG and plucked, bowed and slapped DB) and drums, but there's no fancy complicated playing and no solos. We put up a page on Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/goatbomb

I already mentioned this band in the Krappy thread as the BG parts are all done on my Krappy tripleneck, we're basically taking the rowdiest country songs and doing completely ridiculous hip-hop or crunkcore versions of them. It's basically my imitation of all the music that fans of my metal bands HATE the most. And I must say, I've never had anywhere this much fun with any music ever before, and I've been doing this for nearly 20 years now.

We got four songs up so far, but we definitely need to do a full-length album.

As for why I need a tripleneck BG, the answer is obvious:

krappyshiva.

2. rkingly

rkingly "Playing Reverend Basses on a Regular Basis"

Sep 8, 2007
    Virginia
    Endorsing Artist: Reverend Guitars
    Love it!! You 6 armed Freak!!
    Great idea, I look forward to hearing more.
    Peace

3. you rule. plain and simple, you rule

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Sweet! Just sent a friend request. I used to gig with just bass and drums a bunch, and we did tons of parody covers. This weekend we're doing our first gig in a few years, and I can't wait! :bassist:

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Now that sounds fun. Enjoy the gig and good luck!

I'll see if I can shoot a Goatbomb video this weekend... up the ridiculousness one more level.

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Just put up a Kenny Rogers cover on the Myspace page. Shot most of the footage for the video, too, but I need a Firewire cable to dump it to my PC...

7. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    YOU DA MAN BABY!!!! We bow to your awsomeness!!!

8. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Video is done -

I need a more colorful puffy vest for the next one, though!

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    We got a few more tracks up on Myspace now, getting sleazier and sleazier. Then there's this fan-made video:

Lots of sparkly hearts in the refrain...

10. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    that was without a doubt... the weirdest thing I've ever listened to.

11. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    That worries me. We're trying to make commercial rap here, not be weird!

12. boomtisk

boomtisk

Nov 24, 2009
    Germany
    Try running a deinterlacing filter over the video footage, it will make the tiny horizontal lines that are especially noticeable when something moves go away.

Two things about the song: I think the drums need more "omph", try coming up with a funkier beat (try 16th notes played on the hi-hat for example), after all hip hop is supposed to be all about beats that make you want to dance. Also, try adding percussion on the upeats, it can help a lot.

Your song "Or something" seems to flow a bit better, but the beat has no hi-hat. Is this intentional? (Ooops, there's actually a tiny bit but it would work better if it played a constant pattern).

Also at one point where you had "clean" and "crunk" rapping going on at the same time, the "crunk" voice sorta drowned out the "clean" voice.

Once you've got the couple of shortcomings ironed out, this should have a lot of potential.

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Thanks, comments like that really help. "I Gotta Get Crunk" was the first time I ever tried rapping, making a beat, or doing a video, so there's definitely a lot to be ironed out. "Or Something" has a track of hi-hat there in the refrains and one verse... but it was done about a month later so it shows some progress. I'm slowly figuring these things out.

14. For whatever reason I enjoyed listening to these! I like the rapping. The "clean" guy has some skillz, too.

The bass is a bit overpowering for my taste, but perhaps that'll be remedied when you upgrade the drum machine.

15. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Haha this is a bit interesting.

16. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Drumes definitely need an upgrade... those are looped bits of recordings I had laying around from another project. They were made with a cheap dynamic mic. Guess I need to get some better loops somewhere or at least find and learn some drum-machine software...

17. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    DUDE! you seriously need to look into playing gathering of the juggalos next summer. people would go crazy for this

18. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Hahaha, I fear that Boondox already has the Juggalo country rap market cornered!

We put up another short track on Myspace called "Run Outta Tulsa". Also talking to the drummer from one of my other bands about making me some proper drum loops, and auditioning female vocalists.

19. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Got a cover of Stan Rogers' "The Idiot" with the debut of our first female vocalist (there will be two more in a couple of weeks if all goes according to plan) and less primitive drum programming. It's a loop I got from somebody who used to do electronic music, not from my other band's drummer... he got some loops done, just hasn't given them to me yet.

20. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Got a few remixes from different people, including one from a guy who really knows what he's doing. IMO it's a big improvement over the original.

Some NSFW language, of course:

We found a few female vocalists, too, and we're working on another video. This one will include both my doubleneck and tripleneck basses.