Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

By Request: How to bypass the Peavey 410TX crossover

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Before I explain what I did to my 410TX, I just want to say that I will not be held responsible for any damage you do to your cabinet, speakers, or amp (highly unlikely). Peform this at your own risk.

Technically, this isn't a complete crossover bypass. Essentially what we are doing is removing the .5uH inductor from the loop. I don't know exactly what this does because I haven't bothered to figure it out, but to my ears it sounds like the cabinet is broadcasting a lot more midrange.

When you remove the back panel (where the jack is located) you'll see a few things:
    1) Yellow & Blue wires connected to the greenish-yellow PCB board. These go to the speakers (it should be labled "Woofer")
    2) Yellow & Black wires connected to an inductor screwed to the inside of the cabinet. This should be labeled as well.
    3) Red & Black wires connected to the tweeter.
    4) Red-Blue-Black wires connected to the tweeter volume dial.

The easiest way to do this is to cut the yellow and black wires going to the inductor and then connect them together, thus removing the inductor from the loop, but still allowing signal to pass through. Make sure you connect them together securely. Solder is best. Also make sure you wrap the bare wire with electrical tape to prevent a short.

I also disconnected the tweeter on my cab because I hate the sound of it. All you have to do is take out the black and red twisted wire. Disconnect it from the tweeter and the PCB.

If you wanted to completely bypass the crossover, the easiest way would be to get a new 1/4" jack, remove the PCB board completely and connect the yellow and blue wires directly to the new jack. You wouldn't be able to use the tweeter though.

Hope this helped some of you.

PawleeP likes this.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks man! this is awesome, i'm gonna try to do it today, let people know what happens after i do it ;)

Even if this thing doesnt get any posts, i'm keeping it in my "Needed info" folder.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Aww... here ya go. Consider this a sympathy post :)

4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    ^
    |
    |
    |

FREELOADER

5. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    Zombie thread reply...

Just seeing what the outcome was from anyone who has done this with the peavey 410tx. I hate the tweeter, cracks, pops, sucks.

6. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    how about one more bump...

7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    My TVX (same basic cab) was given to me with a pre-blown tweeter ;) . The mod definitely makes a huge difference in sound :) .

8. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    the mod of removing the inductor or new input?

9. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I've only shorted out the inductor so far. I'll eventually pull the plate again and do a better job at removing the crossover components. I'm presently using it with a 30w tube amp so might rewire the tweeter l-pad as a master attenuator :cool: , probably with a bypass so I don't smoke it with a bigger amp. I'm using an external speaker soak at the moment...

yobtaf likes this.
  10. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    The tweeter in those cabs is pure hiss, not sure how you even use them to begin with. :) I performed Plan B on mine and just physically removed the entire crossover from the jack plate and direct wired the speaker to a new 1/4" jack. Huge improvement all around.

yobtaf likes this.
  11. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    thank you for that reply, think that is what i will do. seems like the easiest and that way the crossover is still intact need be to sell if I had to. Thanks