Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

By the way, red hot chili peppers, technique in verse A

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Moebius, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Moebius

Moebius

Mar 11, 2003
    Zagreb
    Hi all.

I have discussion with my friends about bass technique used in "By the way" - Red Hot Chili Peppers (in verse A)

They think it is slap, but I'm not so sure, it sounds like normal "finger" techniuque (maybe with new strings), it sounds too soft for slap.

What dou you think?

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Sounds like finger style to me with lots of low action stainless steel string rattle.

I play finger style anyway, sometimes with a tad of overdrive to give me that buzz coz my action isn't as low, and put some balls in it. Who says you have to play it exactly the same as flea :D

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    what ga said + flea tends to dig in like a mo fo when he's playing.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yep, thass zackly what it is. Flea anchors his thumb on the pickup and really digs in, the sound is new strings, low action and a hundred thousand dollars of bass tech! :D

5. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    flea plays by the way finger style, i have a couple live bootleg vids (mpeg's/avi's)..

yes, he really digs in when he plays.. thats his tone.. i have been trying to get his tone and never could, i started playing something and i really dug in, walla, i got his tone (pretty damn close anyways).. well, it helps that i'm playing a stingray and am using GHS strings but even with the sunbeams it was pretty close... as long as i'm eq'd or preamped clean, i just pluck really really hard and i get as close as i could ever get to his tone.. although, i cant play that hard while maintaining the speed and/or consistancy that Flea maintains, but i'm not a god like he is! (IMO)

i am trying though :)

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeh flea slaps, cos its in the video your see him slap the strings, so yeah its slapped

7. :meh: Did you read the other replies?
    Flea plays this song with his fingers, he just digs in hard.

8. are you talking a live video or the music video that MTV/muchmusic play? many artists dont actually play the songs in music videos, they just play something

9. If you're talking about the MTV music video, I've seen it and Flea does not slap it. It's just really hard fingerstyle that he's known for like the other guys have said.

Peace

10. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    ok lads, dont get a boner

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

:confused:

Ok, yeah, no slap in the video...

:confused:

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I read somewhere that when Dave Matthews does music videos, he purposely plays the wrong chords to throw people off who are trying to play along with his videos.