Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bycycle riders in the house? Question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Apr 13, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Is there a bid difference between a $220 Trek or a $130 Schwinn from Walmart?

Also is there a way to connect a kids bike to an adult bike. So I can pull her rather than a bike seat. She has a kids bike with training wheels but she gets tired on trips on some of the bike paths.

Any ideas?? Money is tight and can only spent a around $200-$250

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

After studying this question extensively, I came to the conclusion that this was a trick question, but the real
    answer is $90 before the local taxes.
    I may be a bit of a traditionalist here, but a 6 foot
    length of 3/8 inch nylon rope between your seat post
    and the young ladies bike, just below the handle bars,
    around the frame should more than suffice. There are
    more expensive solutions available, but I always liked
    that one.

And on the bike, is a Trek made in China a lot better
    than a Schwinn MIC? I don't really think so.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    220$ is already dangerously low for quality. 130$ is prefab trash IME. Get a bike without gimmicks like a suspension fork etc. but with a decent frame and basic components instead, a decent fork already costs more than either of those bikes.

I've seen parents ride bikes with their kid's bike couple to it like a trailer, but I've no idea what they're called and who makes them.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, that really depends - is the bike for you or the kid? My 6 y.o. has a Schwinn and it's plenty of bike for him, but he's not been riding a bike for long. If you're looking for a bike for yourself in this price range, then JMX's comments may apply, it really depends on what you expect from the bike.

MPB

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Bike is for myself just to cruise around in. I dont plan on working out, racing or even pushing my limits as a rider. Just something for me to ride with the family. My daughter is only 5 yrs so I wont be speeding. :)

Here is the Trek

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/citybike/navigator50.jsp

No gimmics just a basic bike. Really the part I need to be high quality is the seat. I hate a sore can.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    So what's the Schwinn look like?

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

9. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, my opinion is that if you just want to ride bike paths with a 5 year old any one of those bikes would fit your needs.

Now if you want to keep up with her 5 years from now (that's about 2.5 blinks of an eye, right?) ...she might be more advanced and into tougher trails, jumps, etc. and you might want a lighter bike or one of these fancy schmancy new fangled suspension bikes at that point, I dunno. For the time being, I'll bet that Schwinn would suit you fine - seems to have all Shimano components which is good (although all of them seem to have Shimano...)

11. My advice since the bike is for you is to buy the Trek. Better components. You'll buy from a real bike shop where they know how to assemble/service a bike. The Trek will last longer and they stand behind their products. In the long run the extra cost will be money well spent. Trust me.

Jeff

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Funny I just found out Gary Fisher is made by Trek. Sounds like it is similiar to what Ford is to Mercury.

14. In our bike shop (where I now work!), we sell Gary Fisher Tarpon's and they're a super popular model. Someone brought their's in for a free service today (3 month), and there was nothing wrong with it or needed adjustment, and this guy rides 100+ miles a week. It comes with a good spec as standard, and Gary Fisher's company (it might be owned by Trek, but they do do their own thing) seem to actually think about the frames so you get a good frame wiht parts that are easily upgradable.

Equally, we sell Trailabikes here which are a better option than tying (less rope to get slack and get caught in wheels and so on), and the fixed distance means they won't ram you in the back if they aren't paying 100% attention to the situation at hand.

Personally, I'd go for hte Tarpon and try and go to a real bike shop. That way, you'll get decent service, a proper warranty that they'll honour, and just a general all round feeling of loveliness for supporting a small company.

So yeah, Tarpon it is!

Mark.

15. My bad! It's not Trail-gators we stock - though the name's the same. We sell this little sorta kids by that the back half is like a standard kids bike, but the front half instead of having forks has a bar that goes forward and attaches to the seat-post of the guide bike, so it's in a sense an articulated tandem.

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bicycle riding in the house? Isn't that hard on the furniture?

17. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    My kids love it! Everything in the house is, after all, theirs.

Right?!? :D

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    At that end of the price spectrum you're definitely not in the high-performance titanium and carbon fiber composite realm, but you can find a perfectly serviceable bike for the kind of riding you suggest.

I think the biggest difference between them may be in the way it is assembled and set up. Wal-Mart just might have highly competent people building bikes, but I wouldn't count on it without seeing for myself first.

A good, real bike shop would be more likely to properly assemble and adjust the bike for you, but again, there can be exceptions.

19. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Most bike are just copies of other designs, you should only pay $2000 or your buying a cheaply manufactured and designed bike...