1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bye bye bow quiver - hello Arcohook!

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Gethin, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Gethin

Gethin

Sep 18, 2013
    A friend recommended I try taking the bow quiver off my bass, said it would improve the sound. He was right! I'm now using an Arcohook and absolutely LOVE IT!

If you have a quiver then try removing it (along with your mute and pickup) and listen to the difference in sound. Amazing!

2. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Curious to hear if anyone else is using this successfully.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I started hanging the bow on the stand years ago using 2 clips from the hardware store so that the bow hangs horizontally and is ready to hit the strings in far less time.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's really called Arco Clip Hook so it's a pretty unprofessional driveby.

I'm just saying... :bag:

5. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    +1 but I remember some discussion of this product here in the past so I looked into it. Not a bad idea I suppose. One could MacGuyver together something similar on the cheap but it is nice to support bass related cottage industries.

Joe

trkkazulu likes this.
  6. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Don't know about the original poster, but it's probably safe to say I don't qualify as a drive-by. I bought the clip earlier this year on a lark. Within a week, I removed my quivers and didn't look back.

Probably one of the best purchases a DB player can make. It's essentially lets you "wear" the bow alongside your pant leg, and draw it out quicker 'n a pistol when you need it. (Also much easier to return it to the hook than to plunge the bow into a quiver). You can attach it to your belt, or to an pocket edge; I've experimented, and prefer the latter.

I don't play bow on all songs, and on those that I do I'm usually employing a blend of pizz and arco. Works really well for that.

I still have a quiver. But it's attached to the music stand now. I park the bow there when I know I'm not going to need it for several songs. Meanwhile, the clip stays on my pocket throughout.

Highly recommended. My one regret is that i have the first generation model, which doesn't have the swivel function that lets it attach to a music stand. If I ever get my hands on one of those, you'll see my quivers up for sale in the classifieds.

7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i'd feel so dorky using one of those.

never had an issue with the quiver. well maybe i have, but ive never considered alternatives- other than the annoying idea of sitting the bow on the music stand.

8. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Dorky? To tell you the truth, that's not a word that comes to mind. If anything, the bow disappears alongside the length of your pants. And then the audience is like, "Whoa! Where'd that bow come from?" :)

Consider me a convert. What's awkward, if not dorky, is trying to stab the bow back into the quiver while keeping the beat. A hook at the waist requires but a gesture to stow and retrieve.

9. HI folks-
    I'm a newbie to playing double bass (since 8/13). I play old-time and bluegrass music and use the bow to tune. AND am attempting to learn how to play arco. I splurged on an arco clip hook just because it was an easy way to deal with "where can I put the bow?" during practice sessions (switching between styles), and waiting for practice sessions (until I get a decent bow case). I clip it to my music stand at home, and take it with me in my gig bag when I go to jams and gigs.

Like others, I love the idea of supporting another bass player!

cheers-
    laura gayle

10. Herbert P....

Herbert P....

Aug 15, 2008
    UK
    Hey Jsn - I just logged in to TB for the first time in forever. Very glad of your endorsing remarks and my gratitude will be shown with a free mk2 ACH going in the post to you immediately. Hope you enjoy using it.

Also glad of your positivity laura, thank you too. :)

It is very much a cottage industry endeavour, and I am just about clearing costs in real terms. I'm not able to back a full-on marketing campaign with the time and resources that requires, so it's always nice when people give it a positive mention. Thanks.

Steve

11. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Gosh. Thanks, Steve! It arrived in the mail yesterday, as a complete surprise. Even more versatile and sturdy than the original. Consider my praise redoubled.

12. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    This looks like a nice product. I took my quiver off years ago and only put it on if I know I'm going to need it. I prop my bow on the piano, a music stand when I have one. I ledge/a window sill, hang it off of a piece of drum hardware. Sometimes I get to it in time, some times I don't. I've thought about one of those umbrella stands, but it's just one more thing to load and unload. This or something like it would be a good move for me.

13. I'm always afraid with any kind of hook, that the bow might fall down on the tip. So I would never use a wooden bow with a hook, only carbon fiber or fiberglass bows.

For my acoustic double bass I still like my bow quiver (made by myself of 5 mm thick leather), but for my EUB (specially the Clevinger) I would either need a hook or a place to put the bow down (what you cannot always predict if you can get one or not).

14. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    While I'd love to get rid of the quiver, I don't think this would work for me.

It may sound ridiculous, but the extra distance needed by my right hand to travel from the finger board to the right side of my waist to grab the bow off a hook there would probably mean missing some entrances.

In many shows I've played, the bass part has been (how to put this tactfully?) overwritten so that I have to switch from pizz passages that require two fingers to arco frequently and almost instantaneously. While I've found ways to hold my (German) bow and pizz so that it's still available for arco, there are still many times when nothing will do but dropping the bow completely.

I've gotten pretty good at being able to deposit and pick up the bow out of the quiver without any lag, but a big part of the reason for that is that it leaves the frog of the bow within inches of my pizzing hand. Plus, all I have to do to see it is a momentary glance downward from the music.

It seems like the arco hook would require more time/motion to get to the bow, and as DoubleMIDI mentioned, if you fumble the grab at all, your bow could end up slamming into the floor tip-first.

15. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Somebody should make a scabbard so you can whip it out like a sword.

16. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    If it was a real quiver, it would be on your back like Katniss Everdeen.

17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    If it was a real bow, there'd be other things occupying your quiver. ;)

18. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Never-you-mind what's occupying my quiver, hdiddy.

19. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pics or it didn't happen!