Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bye Bye Miss American Pie.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Feb 3, 2006.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    This is the aniversary of "The Day the Music Died". 2/3/59, a plane crash kills the Big Bopper, Buddy Holly and Richie Valens.
    Thank you Don McLean for keeping the memory alive through American Pie.

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I didnt know it was today. RIP guys. :(

One a lighter note, thats my favourite song of all time.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And huge respect to Don McLean as a songwriter. It is only about a year ago I learned that he was nominated for a Grammy for song of the year for Vincent (I think), but lost out to Norman Gimbel and Charles Fox who wrote a song about a friend of theirs seeing McLean in concert and being amazed at how close to home his music hit her.

Lori Lieberman heard American Pie. And she thought about how it effected her to hear the news of the plane crash. She described this to her friends Norman and Charles, who quoted her in their song "Killing Me Softly.'

So a song by him lost the Grammy to a song about him. Oh come on. That's cool.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The tour bus was having problems and the plane they took couldn't fit all the musicians. Buddy Holly's bass player drew the short straw and had to stay behind. His last words to them were, " I hope the damn thing crashes". True story.
    btw the bass players name was Waylon Jennings. Heard him tell this story in an interview a couple years before he died.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I knew Waylon was supposed to be on that plane, I didn't know about his statement. Talk about things you wish you never said. Man.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Roberta Flack's song Killing Me Softly is about Don McLean singing American Pie.

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I heard about that for the first time this morning. Amazing how you can hear a song for so many years and still learn something new.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX

Gentlemen, I invite you to read post #3 of this same thread, located up there.^^^^ In said post, you will discover I told you this yesterday.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to wander off and act all smug.

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    :D

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LIAR!

12. Bard2dbone