Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bying an AMP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sphinx(Bass), Jun 30, 2005.

1. Sphinx(Bass)

Sphinx(Bass)

Jun 29, 2005
    Lebanon
    i am having trouble with finding an amplifier.
    i need an amp that can support a bass guitar and an electric guitar in the same time,that has good sound for both instruments,and a good quality,i insist on a good metal sound.
    N.B: my budget is 800$ or maybe less .
    what do u suggest?

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    You won't find a rig that does bass and guitar well for metal.

Metal guitar needs tubes (generally). Well, you can get a 100 watt all-tube head, but that may not be nearly enough for bass (and it won't be for a clean bass sound). So then you can get the Trayner 200 watt all-tube head but your guitar won't crunch until it reaches ear-splitting levels.

And as far as cabinets go, guitar cabinets can't handle the low bass frequncies (at the very best, not well). And the speakers designed for bass guitar will not be loud enough (lower effeciency because they need to reproduce lower frequncies).

It won't work for your situation. You need two rigs.

3. just hit a sheet of aluminium with a hammer, you dont need a guitar or bass with metal :bag:

4. Or at least 2 different speaker enclosures

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The only problem is he won't find a head that works for both guitar and bass, well, as I pointed out in my first post.

6. there are heads that can be used for both, ive seen them, they just suck a bit

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    That's what I pointed out.

In metal, guitarists want tubes. Well, that's great, but it won't get a clean sound for bass unless you get a high amount of watts, where you will destroy eardrums of the entire band to get the amp to "crunch" the right way.

There really isn't a "happy medium" between the two in metal. Guitarists want tubes, but you can't get clean bass in metal with low tube watts.

You could use a head for both, but it will be a large compromise.

8. There are SS amps for metallers out there, and fair enough, thier bassists dont know what they are missing from a lovely crunchy all tube sound

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    One hundred watts of bass has trouble competing with one hundred watts of guitar.

I like a bit of tube crunch, but in metal I like a cleaner tone that cuts through.

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    This is all true, but I just have one question about guitar cabs. According to some Marshall brochure I have lying on my pile Steve Harris uses 1960 series guitar cabs... why, since marshall make a 4x12 bass cab as part of the VBA series. Also, this might prove that not all guitar cabs are useless for bass.

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    He bi-amped, only the highs went to that cabinet, the lows went to something else.

12. Did you really mean bass and guitar "at the same time"? Nothing is going to sound good for running both at the same time.

I don't even see one amp doing very well for either one individually either.

Guitar needs fewer watts and distortion sounds good. Bass needs lots of watts and distortion sounds bad.

Get enough watts for bass, and the guitar will never distort properly except at ear splitting volumes. Get the watts down so the guitar crunches nicely, the bass will be crunching when its not supposed to.

Even best case, where you only want clean guitar sound it won't work well.

Guitars sound better with open backed cabs with peaky midrange, no low end response, and CERTAINLY no tweeter. That's one reason guitars sound like crap direct to the pa. Basses need the low end, and work better with a flatter response in the midrange. For slapping, bass can use even higher response than a guitar, tweeters can be necessary depending on your preferred sound.

You want good gas mileage, or high horsepower from your car? You can't get both. Same deal. they are 2 different solutions for satisfying 2 very different sets of requirements.

You're only possible chance would be to get a bass amp, hi-fi full range sound, and run the guitar through a Line 6 pod cab simulator thing. That's the only way you have any chance of doing a decent job at both.

Randy

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Bottom Line, the Closest you will get is a 100Watt All-Tube head. I just purchased a V4B last week, and I tried it with an Ampeg cab on bass, and a Marshall 1960 cab on guitar. With guitar its simply louder and thats all their is to it. Yes I've heard V4Bs in stage for bass, but those were bands that enjoyed heavy distortion in their sound and played the appropriate music for it.

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I actually used my solid state Peavey bass combo as a guitar amp for a long time. I just hooked a distortion pedal through the effects loop. Sounded fine.

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Get a power amp.

16. second that, and put a bass pod(behringer or line 6) in front of it, it won't sound perfect, but it'll do, as the bass pod has both Bass amp sims as well as guitar amp sims. And a 410 bass cab(or one guitar cab and one guitar cab)

the behringer bass pod and power amp shouldn't be all that expensive used... the cabs..don't know..

as long as you don't use it the studio it'll be just ok, the pod has distortion simulation and stuff...(several types actually)

17. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The only part I could imagain being usable with both instruments would be a power amp, you would need different pre amps and cabs which raises the point, why bother?

18. well as I said, the bass pod, used as pre-amp, will support both.. so that leaves the cabs...well instead of hauling a 410 and a 115, you might be hauling a 210 and something for the guitar

19. Check Carvin's mail order catalog. They have some big combo amps in your price range with inputs for guitar, bass, keyboard.