1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BYOC Large Beaver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jun 17, 2007.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Got one of these in a trade.

Now I've never been an EHX Big Muff man but have to say this is one hell of a fuzz pedal.

Lot of range of sounds, no low end loss and generally really nice, sound nasty and raspy when you crank the gain and the tone knob but that's to be expected.

http://myselfalone.com/tayste2000/BYOC Big Beaver.mp3

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/largebeaver.html

I love the Timmy C look, I'm not sure to sell this pedal either, I traded it to sell but man it's really really nice would be a great cheap pedal to chuck in a bag for a jam since it's got that mild gritty tone as well.

Enjoy

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Cool. Thanks for the review! :D

3. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    weird I was just looking at the BYOC site today thinking about building some sort of fuzz...but the problem is I have Big Muff already

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Sounds better than a big muff to me :D

5. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Pretty much all the Big Muff's use the same circuit, with just changes to some the component values. So, in theory, any muff can be modified to sound pretty much like any other muff. The transistors and the tone stack vales make the biggest differences. There are schematics out there for various versions. So if you get the BYOC you can just sub some parts to try to get closer to the triangle or green or new USA version.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    True, but still stating the BYOC sounds better to me than any Big Muff I've tried.

Also is smaller and easier to power.

7. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I wasn't disputing that :)

8. What about the mid-cut? Is it just as dramatic as any other Muff clone?

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Listen to the clip and you tell me ;)

10. Wish I could man. My Computer is a little out of whack at the moment, and its having difficulty downloading clips.

11. well...that was a great review...and great clip...I think I might look into getting one

12. karter2000

karter2000

Aug 21, 2005
    Nowhere land
    Yeah, that was a great clip. I've been thinking of doing one of those kits for quite a while. The nice thing about the BYOC kit is the small size. I'll probably order one once my Jumbo Tone Bender clone is done, and do the mid-mod that was posted above.

Lyle

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021