1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bypass bad volume pot? In a bind!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Mar 8, 2013.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey all,

I'm in a bit of a bind at the moment. My MTD 535 has a bad volume pot - I get intermittent fierce static while playing, reduced volume or unexpected volume levels at random. It was initially just a scratchy pot but I tried spraying it out which seems to have made matters worse.

Took it to a trusted local shop... they don't have the correct pot in stock. Naturally I have a show tonight and a big one next week and no backup bass in the stable.

Would it be crazy to ask my local shop about bypassing the pot and "hard wiring" the volume to be at 100%, just to get me through the next busy week? Seems logical but I know nothing about whether that would put any preamp components at risk.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Yes, they can easily hardwire the PU.
    It will sound a bit more harsh without pot. A parallel resistor with the same value as your original volume pot would let it sound 99% the same.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks... having to put in a resistor = more complicated than I'd hoped, but at least I have a better idea of what my options are. :bassist:

4. Get some Deotix contact cleaner. It'll solve your problem.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Also... looks like I just rationalized shopping for another gig-worthy five-string. Oops. :ninja:

6. I have 5 basses, 3 are customs, so get another. You know you want to.

You should get some Deoxit also.

7. I'm from Lubbock. Trust a Texan.

8. Sometimes you can clear it up simply just by turning the knob back and forth a few times (about 20) just on the spot where the static is.

9. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    It sounds like his volume pot has already worn out beyond the point that will help. A simple jumper wire soldered across the volume pot terminals will "fix" your volume at 100% and you don't need to worry about installing another fixed resistor to keep the tone the same, the pot will serve that function. Just jumper whichever two terminals aren't connected to ground.

De-ox-it will help when the pot is beginning to fail, but it's temporary at best. Once the the conductive track wears out, replacing the pot is the only way to fix it.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Just disconnect the wires from the volume pot's lugs. Connect the two that weren't going to ground together, solder and tape them off. If one was going to ground leave it connected to ground.

That should give you full volume.