1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bypass question (not the usual, and very specific)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blastjv, Apr 24, 2010.

1. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    OK,

I think I fully understand the idea of True Bypass, the potential problems with it, and the benefits of buffered bypass (if the buffer is 'good').

So, if I had an OD pedal (any pedal, but probably either a Xotic BB or a Sparke Drive) first in my chain and have it as an "Always-On" pedal to add a little flavor and drive, will it serve to buffer the rest of my (short) chain of TB pedals in the same way having a buffered bypass pedal as the first in your chain would?

Huh, I guess it's not a bypass question after all.......

-JV

2. Yes, it should.

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Yes. ANY pedal when engaged (turned "on") will buffer your signal.

4. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    That's what I thought. Thanks. I got so wrapped up on bypass concerns that I wasn't thinking about buffering for an always on pedal (and never used an always on pedal...or really any effects before)

-John

5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Not true. Lots of pedals do not have buffers at all (Fuzz Faces and their derivatives like Fuzz Factory and Woolly Mammoth are a notable example) and any pedal that has a volume knob tacked on right at the end (many) is a bad buffer because this raises the output impedance, and the whole point of a buffer is to present a low output impedance. In fact, plenty of dedicated buffer pedals are bad buffers because of this.

But in the specific case of the BB or Sparkle drive you'll be ok.

6. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Interesting. I knew that such pedals (fuzz faces, etc.) had atypical input impedance issues, but I was not aware of higher output impedances. Hmmm...

7. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    I agree with conical johnson.

In ideal world, you need a pedal with high input impedance and low output impedance. A Boss pedal turned off would to the trick.

In an ideal world, a buffer should have a selector for high input impedance (passive basses) or lower input impedance (active basses). It should also have variable output impedance to fine tune the interface with the first pedal of the chain.

8. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    OK, here's another question:

Does the buffered bypass on a pedal like the sparkle drive act any differently with the blend control. Does the clean blend mix an actual 'clean', unbuffered signal with an overdriven, buffered signal? What I mean is will the pedal only present a 'half' buffered signal if you had the clean blend at 50% (hypothetically)?

-John

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, the blending device itself is active, which is another way of saying buffered. A passive blend pot at the very end of an effect circuit would effectively cancel out any benefits of buffering from the effect--but I'm not aware of any pedals like that.