Bypass sm 400s preamp section

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jza57, Dec 24, 2002.

1. jza57

jza57 Supporting Member

Hello talkbass residents, this is my first time on this forum so be kind. I would like to bypass the preamp section on my SWR sm400s and use my eden wt400's preamp. Can this be done safely and effectively. Merry Christmas
  2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I use to own a SM400s. I don't remember there being a bypass function for the preamp. Have you considered selling the amp and buying a power amp? You could get a great amp for the selling price of your SWR!! Sorry I couldn't help
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Plug into the effects return of the SM400 - that should do it. Welcome to Talkbass! :)
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's your basic problem.................
    you can run into the effects return of your swr from the effects out of your eden but..............
    #1 the effects out of an eden is very low level and you may not get enough signal
    #2 the eden effects out only incorporates the preamp, compresssor, and enhance
    all the tone controls on the eden happen after the effects return jack
    you have 2 solutions............
    #1 get an adapter so you can run your edens xlr out into the swr effects return jack and adjust the pad until you get a satisfactory signal
    #2 seems suspicious but eden told me you can do a line from the headphone out to your swr's effects return jack and slowly turn up the eden's master volume until you have enough juice to drive the swr's poweramp (this wil negate running any speaker cabs from your eden though)