Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bypass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, May 28, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a pedal board with five boss pedals that I run in between my bass and my rig. I am thinking about getting a bypass pedal. Do most of you all use them? Will I hear a big difference? Any tips on running them the most efficient way?

2. yeah.. bypassing the boss'es gives the best result :D ;)

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, they are not true bypass and colour the sound to some extent or another. A bypass will give you a closer tone to what you'd have if you had no pedals.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Depending on the rig you use, having true bypass may not even be important. The coloration of the Boss pedals' buffers may be too subtle to be audible.

The MAIN reason to get a bypass pedal would be so you could bypass all the effects at once with one stomp. Let's say you want to use more than one effect at once, you could kick them on in advance and at the right time hit the bypass to activate all, hit bypass again to deactivate all. Otherwise, you end up dancing on the pedals.

Personally I find "true bypass" somewhat overrated. If you are using an active bass, the loading of any unbuffered pedals will not affect tone anyway.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Tell that to my EHX pedals, vicious little tone vacums that they are.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    [​IMG]

ok thats the short answer. I got mine direct from the maker who started out on something simple. He is UK based and did a run of 5 of which 2 are left. I found him on the http://www.harmonycentral.com effects board. There are a number of US based true bypass box makers on that site and the one that the US guys rave about is DBoggs at http://www.loooper.com surf all the site as he makes loads of options from simple loops to multiple loops with wet/dry outputs or series/parralel wiring. They look truly awesome.

Warning-I have not dealt with this guy so buyer beware

7. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a tuner and a noise supression pedal in the loop as well as delay, distortion, and chorus. They're all Boss pedals. I was hoping to get a noticable gain in tone. The switching options with multiple pedals is really cool though.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use a bypass pedal because I can hear a difference (slightly lower gain and less highs and high mids).

I believe that you may not be able to tell the difference depending on equipment and tone settings. I play funk and R & B, and strive for a tight, dynamic, definitive ballsey bottom with good highs and mids. If the pedals aren't bypassed, I can defintitely hear a degraded tone. Here's the site for the one that I bought off of the net. Unfortunately, he's closed for business from May to Sept 2002. Anyway you can check it out.

http://www.mmfxonline.com/

Try a search of the forum for "bypass pedals"; there are other threads on this that are very informative and provide alternative sources for buying a bypass pedal..

9. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I'll chime in to say that I got mine from mmfx also, works great. I suppose it could be considered subtle, but I hesitated to bring effects along before, just because I hated hearing the tone I strived to find get messed up by having a pedal in the signal chain. Now, everything works the way I want it to.

I'm surprised nobody has jumped in with the "You could build your own for cheap" line. Its true, I choose convience over cost.