Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bypassing Hartke VXL Bass Attack with Boss LS-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RollingMonkey, Aug 8, 2005.

1. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Here's my problem: I want to use my Hartke VXL Bass Attack pedal for overdrive only. However, it's not a true bypass pedal (well, it's basically a pre-amp, so I wouldn't expect it to be). Anyway, I want to switch between overdrive and clean DIRECT-INTO-AMP sounds. I can't get the latter when I'm going through the Bass Attack.

I don't know much about Line Selectors, but would the Boss LS-2 help me deal with this problem? Would it suck my tone when I'm trying to get the "direct-into-amp" sound?

I've tried to explain this as best I could, but if you need any clarification, let me know, because any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    The ls2 can be configured in quite a few ways, see if you can find the manual on the net. But the short answer is yes it will do what you want and not suck your tone. It'll do more useful stuff too, like blending your direct sound from your bass with the sound of the hartke pedal for instance.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You can do what you say, but it seems somewhat redundant to bypass a non-true bypass pedal with ANOTHER non-true bypass pedal

Look into a pedal with true bypass effects loops such as a loooper (http://www.loooper.com)

4. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Hmmm... Good point. But the thing is that the Loooper isn't available in any shops, and I can't really order over the Internet. Are there any more "commercially available" true-bypass looper-type pedals?

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, well your profile wasn't filled out so I didn't know where you were located.

Morgan Miller for one does the CPR true bypass pedal

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, the LS-2 is NOT a true-bypass pedal. I like its switching options, but it took too much of my tone away when I tried it.

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    the LS-2 isnt true bypass, but doesnt color the sound.
    i dont know if the hartke in off makes the signal pass through the pre amp, if yes it will be coloring the sound, so the LS-2 will be a good idea.

8. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Yeah, that's the thing... I live in South Africa, which really screws things over as far as buying stuff from the States goes.

But maybe my local music store can order these things. The prob is that they order the more common stuff, like Boss, Digitech, etc., so these "custom order" things aren't too easy to come by here.

However, the Loooper seems more enticing looking at price and simplicity. I'll have to ask friends to see if anyone is willing to risk their credit card details for me. :)

Still, if anyone knows of any more available options, please let me know. Thanks.

9. How about get an LS2 and put the hartke in loop A and in loop B put a patch cord, then set it to toggle between A and B would that give you the true bypass you desire?

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if it's going through an ls-2 loop, even if it's just a loopback patch cord, it's not true bypass.
    Now, whether or not true bypass is 100% necessary here is another question, but this is not true bypass.

11. I have the Hartke pedal and us in the same way you want to, i us a cheapo AB switch from www.highlystrung.co.uk does the job.

I have the "effected" signal from the main output going into A then the parallel output going in to B. The way i have it set up is so that i can have both on/off and "shape" switched on and bypass then when i want to kill everyone i stomp me AB switch and me Boss ODB-3 and the mixture of the overdrive and shape from the hartke and the overdrive from the boss destroys anyone within 50feet of me bass amp!! :bassist: :D