Bypassing Head's Pre stage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Oct 22, 2005.

1. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I tried searching for this but didn't fnd any info.

If I have an active bass can I bypass a head's preamp stage and go straight to the power or is the signal from an onboard not strong enough? also can this damage my onboard pre?
  2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Probably not strong enough. Doubt it would harm anything, I've plugged a bass into a power amp that was supposed to be able to handle the low input, it couldn't really and was very very quiet.
  3. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    might have been risky but I just went ahad and tried it. i pugged directly into the power in jack and had sound....only problem is that also bypassed my Mastervolume knob and it didn't get very loud. Not much change in tone either. I expected more from that Bartolini onboard pre. Time for more experimenting
  4. What amp are you using? I usually plug into the FX return (assuming you have an FX loop) and then you use the master volume to adjust level. Just recently I tried this with my Clarus and a Raven Labs pre. For EB I like the Raven pre much better and from now on I think I'll have to bring one more piece of gear, dang it.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    +1 on the FX return...haven't done it personally, but that's what I'd do if I wanted to go that route...

On a somewhat related note, Walter Harley (of Cafe Walter headphone amp fame) designed a EQ free rack preamp so that he could use just his instrument's tone controls. He has posted a schematic on his web site (
  6. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Get a sansamp or mxr m-80 or something similar and plug right in to the fx return and boost your signal with the box leave everything flat. If i let people use my rig for shows i have all my settings and just let them use the mxr and they can adjust it how they like without losing my settings. it works pretty well and sometimes vice versa i'll just bring my mxr and plug into their amps fx return.