1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Byron House

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by bluegrassboy, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Got a chance to meet Byron House last night after a Sam Bush concert. Great guy and incredible bassist! I've seen him several times at Merlefest and have attended the bass workshops he has participated in there. He is one of the best bass players I've ever heard. He was fun to meet and talk to. Here's a pic with him, me and his Eminence (which sounds fantastic!)

Alan

Attached Files:

2. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Glad you got to meet him. That's cool.

3. I just missed him recently. I was at Dustin Williams' shop in Nashville a few weeks ago when Byron called needing an emergency repair before leaving for an out of town gig the next day. Unfortunately, I had to leave and couldn't hang around to meet him.

I think he is the best bassist in bluegrass and can never understand how he always seems to be passed over at awards time. I don't know if it has to do with his "newgrass" approach or something else.

If anyone is unfamiliar with his playing check this out. The tone of his bass in this recording is a little too "electric" for my taste but lord have mercy he can play that thing.

4. Steve,

I totally agree with you about how deserving he is of some of the major awards. Not to take away from others, but Byron can play ANYTHING. It's amazing to watch him. He make's it look effortless. I'm hoping to get to see Missy Raines this week. Which would make two of my favorite bassists within one week!

5. ronniequeue

ronniequeue

Oct 22, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I also had a chance to meet Byron after a show at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland. He is the nicest guy, he let me play his Eminence and chatted with me for at least 15-20 minutes. Besides the fact that he rocked the **** out of fretted and fretless bass guitar and upright one right after the other, he delivered a killer lead vocal on the Sam Bush band's rendition of "Whole Lotta Love". What a guy.

6. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist

They did this song at Merlefest last year and brought the house down…John Paul Jones was back stage and Byron threw him a kiss at the end of the song…awesome Merlefest moment. :cool:

Byron and Sam are life long friends having gone to the same elementary school. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Bryon’s Dad at Merlefest…he gave me the whole background between him and Sam…pretty cool stuff. We saw the Sam Bush band this summer at the Gettysburg Bluegrass festival, Byron came on stage with a rack of four bass guitars and his Eminence…he can play the $hit out of all of them. He is a fabulous musician that is often overlooked in bluegrass…he does a lot of studio work in Nashville…you have heard him…you just did not know it was him. :D

Max George likes this.
  7. I asked him about "Whole Lotta Love", because I saw him do it at Merlefest as well and was hoping they would do it at Saturday night's show. (They didn't.)

Byron said he has to save his voice for that, so they don't do it every night. They do a great version, though!

8. The first time I watched Byron House play was on an old Opry video of " A Fool Such As I" with Rodney Crowell and Emmylou Harris. I really liked the way he played on the song. Nothing really challenging but good note selection and a great groove along with Buddy Harmon on drums. It took me a month of checking around to find out who it was!

9. I used to be in a band called Foggy Bottom years ago.
    We opened up for Byron a few times, when he was leading a Grateful Dead Cover Band
    in town. It was called " The Dead Set ".
    He played a 6string modulus a la Phil Lesh, through an Eden head and Trace Elliot
    2x10. He always had great tone and very Leshy lines. He sang most of the lead vocals, too.

Sam Bush is awesome of course. I say Sam Bush with Leftover Salmon years ago, also with Phish once. But I've never seen him with his own band live, only on video.

10. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Giving this thread the zombie treatment, because Byron House is a bass player who deserves more respect! He's a very nice fellow, but also one helluva bass player. I was saddened to hear he left Sam Bush's Band for Robert Plant's, because that means less opportunity to see him as Sam comes around all the time. The last time I saw Byron with Sam, it was a total Byron show. Outside, free show in Greensboro, and Byron rocked it. They did Whole Lotta Love and the man thundered through it. I hope to one day get to see Byron and Sam again playing Same Ol' River or Sailin' Shoes!

11. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
  12. Unfortunately that Shark Tooth video is gone. That was my favorite. Is it too much to hope that someone has a rip of it?

13. bassjack51

bassjack51 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2012
    California
    I watched the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Circling Back" on PBS last night in which Byron is holding down the bottom. He cycled through a Fender 5 string, an Epi Casady and an acoustic upright, all of which sounded great...but the acoustic really impressed me with the way it sounded - just unbelievably great tone! I'm searching for as much info as I can find online but it isn't a great deal. Anyone have info on his rig, especially what he was using at that show?

14. Blues56

Blues56

Oct 27, 2012
    NJ