1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Byyyy the way I triiied to saaaay..." using effects.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ski3223, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Ski3223

Ski3223

Mar 27, 2010
    Norman, Oklahoma
    I've been trying to get at Flea's sound on By the Way for years now and I just can't get it right. Has anyone been able to accomplish this with effects as opposed to replicating gear exactly?

Here is what I've got that is functioning right now:
    BASSES
    MM Stingray 4, 3EQ full maple neck
    Knockoff OLP Stingray 5, full maple neck
    Ovation Magnum 2, 2 tone 2 volume model, rosewood

EFFECTS
    Digitech RP-500 (picked it up cheap, couldn't resist)

AMPS
    Fender Rumble 100

So, I don't have a lot to work with here. Any suggestions? I don't have the money to replicate gear, although I could probably get a close amp emulation with the RP-500.

Thanks for any help guys, I realize this thread has probably been replicated before but I couldn't find it.

2. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Did you try the Boss ODB-3? I've always assumed that's what he was using for it.

Edit:

I just saw the bit about replicating his gear so maybe you don't want to go that route. You could probably find one for cheap though and maybe find other uses for it.

3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    On the album it's just the Modulus and GK.

Live he uses an ODB-3 and plays something different.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Unrelated to your question, but the passive VTVT model was the Magnum 1 (potato body) or 3 (more Fender-ish). The 2 and 4 were active with a graphic EQ.

5. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    The GK amp is a huge part of his sound. I'm not just saying that because he uses them, I tried one recently and it shocked me how much his tone can be attributed to that amp. Its pretty much the one essential to his sound (other than technique). Good news is they are reasonably priced compared to other amps in their class.

6. Ski3223

Ski3223

Mar 27, 2010
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the correction, I assumed the 2's also came in VTVT.

7. Ski3223

Ski3223

Mar 27, 2010
    Norman, Oklahoma
    If I end up picking up a new amp or rig sometime that's what I'll be going for. Not just for his sound of course, but I like the way they sound in general. But I'm not in need of something new right now. Besides, dropping that 1500 for the 'Ray recently pretty much set me back in the "presents to myself" department for a good while. :rolleyes:

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Dropped D tuning and grit from the dirty channel of a GK 2001RB-II is really all you need. Since the GK Diesel Dawg is based on that amp's distortion, you may want to start there.